Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what age would u take the kids

Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Medicjaycook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what age would u take the kids

what age do/did you start letting your kids go on rides with you?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started taking my boy riding around base when he was 6, he is 7 now. He enjoys it. I put the intercom on and he just chatters away. Have not taken him out onto the road yet.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:38 AM
TexasJR
Tourer

I took my kids when they were pretty young...but I had been riding a bike for a long time.....I also think it depends on the bike. I would put a younger kid on the back of my Ultra Classic, but might be hard pressed to put that same kid on something that didn't have some support behind him..........

Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 AM
DWhite
Tourer

when they can put their foot flat on the rear floorboards and they have enough sense to not juke around in the back. For my daughter that was at 8 yrs old.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2 years old

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 AM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

All the safety laws and what not now....... People now probably would think this is nuts but.....

All I know is when I was young, real young, my uncle would come home from California, he would take my other uncles old Honda 750 that just sat in the barn out. He would put me in-front of him and ride me around. I would sit just between him and the tank and hold on to whatever I did (I don't recall what). lol But I was there with that dusty old helmet that probably didn't fit right, with the wind in my face and taking in the sights.

I still smile to this day when I think about those times. Some of my favorite childhood memories. It is one of the reasons I got into motorcycles. I can still hear that chirpy, whistle of those Honda carbs! I was probably about 5 years old then. He rode all his life and still does at 80.

Would this be ok in this day and age, probably not. But I am so glad he did what he did....

If I ever have kids. I would take them as soon as they had a good helmet that fit. I think it is more of who is driving then anything else.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started mine at 6 y/o. They are now 10 and 11. They are up for around 300 mile days at this point. It is some of the best time we have spent together.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 AM
dhincc
Road Master

Probably they were about 2 or 3, but just for a short run around the neighborhood. Hell, I was already riding mini bikes and such when I was between 7 or 8. My younger brother started riding at the same time, so he was 5 or 6. He couldn't reach the ground so my dad would hold the bike up, he'd get on and take off. He'd ride back by and yell so somebody would grab it when he stopped. It didn't take long for him to get the hang of hopping on and off on his own. My first ride was, as stated earlier, on the tank of my dad's bike. Both of my parents rode and had their own scoots. Long time ago. The good old days ...

Ride safe!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,519 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Originally Posted by DWhite
when they can put their foot flat on the rear floorboards and they have enough sense to not juke around in the back. For my daughter that was at 8 yrs old.
Exactly the same here....

Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyhitter01
All the safety laws and what not now....... People now probably would think this is nuts but.....

All I know is when I was young, real young, my uncle would come home from California, he would take my other uncles old Honda 750 that just sat in the barn out. He would put me in-front of him and ride me around. I would sit just between him and the tank and hold on to whatever I did (I don't recall what). lol But I was there with that dusty old helmet that probably didn't fit right, with the wind in my face and taking in the sights.

I still smile to this day when I think about those times. Some of my favorite childhood memories. It is one of the reasons I got into motorcycles. I can still hear that chirpy, whistle of those Honda carbs! I was probably about 5 years old then. He rode all his life and still does at 80.

Would this be ok in this day and age, probably not. But I am so glad he did what he did....

If I ever have kids. I would take them as soon as they had a good helmet that fit. I think it is more of who is driving then anything else.
What a great story, that's what biking's all about!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At what age would u take the kids