Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:15 AM
ncracer86
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security?

Trying to get opinions on security for my '13 RGC. It didn't come with the factory system, but I know I could add it. Would I just have to buy the module, install it, and have the dealer program the FOBs for it? Anyone know what they'd charge me for that? Or would you rather go with an aftermarket system?

Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

All questions better answered from the dealer.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:35 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Have them install it. Once it's installed the bike won't start until it's programed.
My dealer wants an hour to install and set it up.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:05 AM
SeeJeepCrawl
Road Master
Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the 13 and the only security it has is the flashing lights if moved without the fob present. Prior to that an 09 with the same. Have never had an issue. I have thought about paying extra for an alarm system, but then think of all the car alarms going off in the store parking lots and no one even pays it any attention.

I just make sure to keep my fob on my person...don't leave it on or near the bike and have the override codes changed to something only I know.

As many times as I have moved my bike around in the garage without the fob, I am glad there was no audible in addition to the lights.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:07 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I have security on my bike, but if I didn't and wanted something, I would go red neck.
Install, or have installed, a cutoff somewhere that you would know. A switch to cut off main voltage, or starter, would do it. Yep, I am serious.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

My bike came with it as standard equipment, but if it didnt I wouldnt waste my money to add it. The added security is very little, for a lot of extra bother (fob batteries, codes if necessary, etc)

Money better spent elsewhere, IMHO.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

IMO, well worth the money to park your bike + walk away w/o locking it down. Come out, hop on, drive away. PITA to dig the key out every time you park it.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:56 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Between the alarm and anti lock brakes it makes a fairly decent discount on my insurance (between my old 01 & the 09).
Worth it if you plan on keeping the bike, carry spare batteries.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 AM
rusty289
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

My opinion, security is worth it for the simple fact that you don't need to worry about locking the ignition every time you get off the thing.

Yes there are times you will still want to do that anyway, and yes someone could still wheel the bike away but at least they won't be able to start it and ride away.

As for the installation, I've done it a couple of times and it's not too bad. There is a procedure you need to go through to have the bike "Learn" the new security module, it takes half an hour or so then once that is done you will still need to have the dealer program the FOBs to the bike.

That is what I went through anyway.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:54 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

My 15 didn't come with it. I bought part online, had my dealer install it. Added Radio Shack siren. Dealer has to program something.

Quick Reply: Security?