Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injector cleaner

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
grandpatim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaner

Is there any need to run fuel injector cleaner in your gas occasionally? Or does using the higher octane gas keep it clean? 90 octane is the highest we get around here. If so what do ya'll use, how much and how often?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

octane does not equate with clean.

octane is the ability of the fuel to resist ignition- high octane is needed in high compression motors to resist ignition under compression ( like a diesel)- the octane makes it "wait" until ignited by the spark plug.

"quality fuels" boast detergent additive packages...chevron, shell etc. ( although it all looks like it comes from the same truck...) best practice is to use quality brands.
try to buy at a "busy" station so that you are less likely to get corrupted fuel, don't buy gas if the truck is there delivering, the delivery stirs up all the crud in the tanks

an injector/tank/line cleaner may be too harsh for our rubber seals, plastic parts etc.( especially 10 year old technology- this is the 2001 ?) so I wouldn't bother unless you have a specific problem, better to run a couple of tanks of cleaner than to tear it all apart- maybe it'll fix, maybe not.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-22-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Yes it is a good idea to add an injector cleaner once in a while. Since I store my bikes with StaBil in the tank over winter it is also a good injector cleaner so for me no need to do anything else.

Injectors get dirty from the blow by before the intake valve closes. It is a guess but adding a cleaner at the beginning of the season should do the trick.

Some cleaners are methanol based and some are petroleum based. Current FI systems have seals that tolerate E10 so the use of any form of injector cleaner will not hurt them.

Seafoam is a naphtha based cleaner. Typical brands like STP and others sell both types of cleaner.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-22-2011 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Q103 (04-13-2020)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read that with higher octane fuel there is risk of more carbon buildup. The additive Seafoam advertises to clean fuel system and clean the top end of excessive carbon build up.
I'll add some to my tank a couple times each year, and it serves as a fuel stabilizer as well.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Hammy
Tourer

I use Lucas Oil Fuel additive about every 5-10 tanks of gas.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use (marine grade ) stabil in the winter ( this is green). I also use some Lucas fuel injection cleaner a few times a year. All good. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpatim
Is there any need to run fuel injector cleaner in your gas occasionally? Or does using the higher octane gas keep it clean? 90 octane is the highest we get around here. If so what do ya'll use, how much and how often?
In all my years, I never used any in bikes or cars, probably never will.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

there has been a lot of research done on this ..and in the end they all say (except for the ones done by the people selling the stuff) ..don't buy them they are a waste of money for both oil and fuel additives....for most people....the exceptions are fuel stabilizers for vehicles that are stored and octane boosters for highly modified vehicles ...octane boosters should not be used in street vehicles as they leave lots of deposits and damage catalytic converters...

Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
watercop
Cruiser

Plus one on the Lucas injector cleaner. I use it every 3 or 4 tank fill ups. Dont know whether its doing any good, but it makes me feel good.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM
grandpatim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did use Seafoam in my Goldwing but it wasn't fuel injected. I never had any trouble with it and I ran a 1/4 can every 4-5 tanks of gas. I also would use it in the oil before I would change it to clean some of the gunk out of the engine as the previous owner didn't change the oil as often as needed. After a couple of oil changes my oil always looked like new after I changed it. I was just wondering if the injectors were more prone to clogging. I do run injector cleaner through my pickup and wifes SUV every 10 tanks or so. I'm not having any problems, I'm just trying to avoid them. I know about octane. I had a brain fart when I asked that part of the question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner