Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pure Power Oil Filters / cooling abilities

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pure Power Oil Filters / cooling abilities

Greetings All, from my previous thread, I was inquiring about adding to my current HD oil cooler, an oil bud cooler. Most of the comments I got were helpful and straight to the point: ( 1. I did not need a second cooler for temps inTampa, Fl. ( 2. I was going to throw a lot of money behind a marginal result) and (3. there could be oil pressure and sump pump issues). One suggestion that I got was both practical and economical (*** get a Pure power oil filter with the built in fins. It is a simple fix, oil filter serves as a heat sinc, oil filter is very durable and only has to be washed out with diesel fuel or hot soapy water, dried and good to go for another 3 to 5K miles, 90% more efficient that regular paper filters ***). I don't believe the hype about increased horse power or torque, or even better fuel milage. What I want to know is: how much extra cooling can this unit provide in addition to my current oil cooler? What is a realistic expectation?
Thanks for reading my post.
Dwayne

Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm not saying it's a bad oil filter, but their claims are highly exaggerated. The amount of heat that can be radiated from their canister is very low compared to that of an oil cooler where the oil is actually flowing through the finned tubes of an oil cooler exposed to air flow. They are trying to sell hype, more hp, better mpg, come on it's sounds like a late night infomercial. Realistically if your oil cooler drops temps 30 degrees their filter might drop it another degree or two, not worth it in my book.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I thought I read that moving air over the engine (LeNale/HD Fan) had more of an effect on the overall engine temp AND oil temp than an oil cooler or fans on an oil cooler and quite possibly by association, a oil filter heat sink.

Basically I believe I learned that you can cool your oil all day but to really get the temps down you need to move air over the engine. So... as I already have an oil cooler. My next purchase will be an engine fan...

That's what I'd do anyway.

lp

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Plan on doing the engine fan also, waiting for Ultracool to add an outlet for temp guage and I'll be buying that also. Right now weather is cool and I'm staying away from heavy traffic.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

200 clams for an oil filter?!?!?!?! Had never heard of it so googled and checked their site. I am very **** about changing my oil, going to extremes to get every last drop of the old oil out and that is good enough for me. Glad I live in the foothills so when it gets hot I am minutes away and 10 degrees cooler and don't have to worry about this issue. I guess I am content and comfortable that I use Amsoil oil. Not busting OP's or any others chops but really, $200.00????? Well wait now. In retrospect I do have a SE Heavy Breather with a lifetime rechargeable filter but I bought it mostly for the coolness factor more so than the claimed and outrageous 10 HP gain. That's a crock but another thread I have been wanting to post.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just get you a radiator from a Honda at the junk yard,clean it out and run it in front of the bike,it even has a fan.Low buck and will work great.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

I was not expecting oil drops of 35 degrees or even 10 degrees for that point. I was hoping 3 to 5 measley degrees. Not a factor when the temp is 85 degrees outside, but every degree helps when it is 90+ degrees and you are roasting your eggs over a hot engine. If with an oil cooler with a fan, and an oil filter that is efficiant and also acts as a heat sinc can get me a 20 to 30 degree drop in oil temp, I will be satisfied. Afterall the oil is the life of the engine, and heat is the enemy to all engines, I fugure the more I can control heat, the better and longer my engine will run.
Dwayne

Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 AM
tenn.vol.
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I gotta throw the BULLCHIT flag, now I beleive it will add 10 hp,5 mpg and
drop the temp. 35 deg. but if it would add 2 inches? I would be sold! Tenn.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 AM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer

You lost me on that one. I am saying that I already have the HD oil cooler with a fan pair like the ultra cool behind it. I am running a stage 1 kit and a TTS Master Tune. I am running true duals, tail gunner gunship slip ons and large baffles. I do see a drop in temp with my current set up, for I can run the fans with the bike moving or sitting still. I was wanting to squeeze a few more degrees out of the system by adding an oil filter / heat sinc combination. I was hoping to get another 3 to 5 degrees with this addition. Not believing the hype about HP, or Torque, or fuel economy. Just a little better cooling.
Dwayne

Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not sure

Not sure if the horsepower and torque increased with the Pure Power BUT w/ over 30,000 stock motor, 60,000 95", 70,000 124", 3,500 124" w/Turbo.
2004 twin cam 124" dyna, turbo charged 3,500 miles ago, about 60 hours...trouble free... might be the Pure Power?
only the shadow knows....

Attached Thumbnails Pure Power Oil Filters / cooling abilities-img_0010.jpg  

Last edited by Turbo ray 44; 02-03-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Pure Power Oil Filters / cooling abilities