Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fumes, Fumes and more Fumes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Fumes, Fumes and more Fumes!

I have an '06 SG and since almost new, when I let off the throttle either to shift or slow down I smell exhaust fumes. It's not every time but I'd have to say it's most of the time. When I get through riding my clothes usually smell of exhaust. Needless to say, it's very annoying while riding. My bike has been on a dyno multiple times and is running around 14 to 1 across the rpm range so I've been told it's not running overly rich.
Also when I park my bike in the garage after riding the entire garage smells of fumes. Like a mixture of exhaust and gas. The smell in the garage will last an hour or two.
I have been to the dealer and a few indy's but they either say thats normal or they just scratch their head.
In a recent letter to tech Q&A in Rider Magazine a owner of a '07 SG experienced gas odor for three or four hours after riding and he stated that the longer he rode the worse the smell of gas when he parked. He replaced the fuel cap, overflow hose and vent valve with no success.
The tech responding to the letter said to replace the plastic vapor valve (part# 6215085) which may be cracked and to replace the "O-ring" which seals the fuel line quick disconnect. Both are under the fuel tank.

Has anyone on this forum experienced anything similar to what I've explaned and if so are you living with it or did you find a solution?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're smelling exhaust, I think it's your turndowns on your mufflers. If you're smelling fuel, check the o-ring for the fuel supply line from the tank.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same issue with my 09. Smells like a mixture of gas and exhaust for an hour after I park it in the garage. Will be following this thread.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 PM
kc_wa
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I'm not allowed to park in the living room anymore.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by blusmbl
If you're smelling exhaust, I think it's your turndowns on your mufflers. If you're smelling fuel, check the o-ring for the fuel supply line from the tank.
Thats an old picture of my bike, the turndowns have been long gone. Originally I thought the same thing, thats why I changed them.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ever notice the back of a van or semi trailer that has been driving in a snowstorm or on dusty roads? Turbulent air/ backwash is blasting that dirt/snow against the back of the vehicle. Same principal applies to the motorcycle and the bigger the back end of the mc, the more noticeable it is. When you are cruising, there is enough exhaust pressure to pop the exhaust away from the bike, but when coasting in idle, there is not enough exhaust pressure to clear the bike, thus the smell.

Slash cut mufflers with the slash up and tourpacks with luggage on top will add to the backwash.

That's my story and I m stickin' to it

Bwana

Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Pretty common & normal to smell fumes from bike after riding (in garage). I've had this same smell w/most of my bikes - especially HD's. Yours sounds like it could be more than just the after-ride smell...I'd say try the o-ring.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bwana1
Ever notice the back of a van or semi trailer that has been driving in a snowstorm or on dusty roads? Turbulent air/ backwash is blasting that dirt/snow against the back of the vehicle. Same principal applies to the motorcycle and the bigger the back end of the mc, the more noticeable it is. When you are cruising, there is enough exhaust pressure to pop the exhaust away from the bike, but when coasting in idle, there is not enough exhaust pressure to clear the bike, thus the smell

Bwana
I agree with the principal of what you are saying but I have been on my friends RG and the exhaust smell on decel is not present.

Last edited by Streetrunner; 02-25-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
2006ultra
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of pipes you running? I had Rhinehart true duals and the rear cylinder head pipe was cracked leaking exhaust fumes. I fixed that but still had some smell like you describe.

Eventually I had so much exhaust smell that people riding behind me started to complain.

I could smell it too at 65 mph. To me it smelled like gas but to them it smelled like gas and oil burning.

Turned out my valve guide seals were bad. Not bad enough to make the bike smoke but bad enough to cause the odor. I did a big bore kit with new heads and problem solved.

I have heard that 06 was a bad year for valve guide seals???

Are you using any oil?

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2006ultra
What kind of pipes you running? I had Rhinehart true duals and the rear cylinder head pipe was cracked leaking exhaust fumes. I fixed that but still had some smell like you describe.

Eventually I had so much exhaust smell that people riding behind me started to complain.

I could smell it too at 65 mph. To me it smelled like gas but to them it smelled like gas and oil burning.

Turned out my valve guide seals were bad. Not bad enough to make the bike smoke but bad enough to cause the odor. I did a big bore kit with new heads and problem solved.

I have heard that 06 was a bad year for valve guide seals???

Are you using any oil?
It sounds like you had the exhaust smell under constant throttle, Mine only smells on decel but the valve guides are something to consider. I use about 1/4 QT every 1-2 thousand miles. Don't know if that is excessive.

Quick Reply: Fumes, Fumes and more Fumes!