Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swing arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Koop
I'm confused, my mechanic says I need new swing arm bearing/bushings on my 06 Ultra. I took it too another guy & when I asked him about the busings, he looked at me like I'm an idiot & said he's never had too replace them nor has he ever heard of em going bad. Has anyone ever expierenced this or know of someone thats had to replace their swing arm bushings? Or am I being duped for some of my hard earned cash? The bike only has 27K miles on it cant imagine the bushings being shot already. Need advice from some bros.
I'm in the group who says that you need to get another opinion ( and you know all about opinions! ) Did the bike exibit and condition/problem before the "parts replacer" told you that they were in need of replacement. I've never had to prelace them on any of my baggers after many miles. I'd say a further inspection is in order.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 AM
biggrantwilliam
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to change mine @40,000,rear had a wobble. Easy project.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

If this guy said that the bushings are inside of the swing arm than this is a person needs to read the manual. There are bearings in side of them since 2002. Earlier models had cleve blocks inside of the swing arm which are made up of rubber and a metal sleeve. The bearings are crap that HD puts in as they only have a side load of less than 100 pounds. We are having 1,200 pound heavy duty bearings made for replacement. I have found that the swing arm bearings last around 40K mi.

The rubber isolator "RUBBER MOUNT ALL" 47564-86B fits into BRACKET rear fork, right (or right) ALL. It takes a while for that to go bad with usually oil damage.

You may try reading a manual for the insite

Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I take it the bearings are sealed since my flhp doesn't have any grease zerks?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
slyder
Road Master

Sorry.........the early models like 96 to 2003 (not sure when they changed to spherical bearings) are rubber bushings......or cleveblocks. Didnt see what year you had at first.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
slyder
Road Master

no those are not sealed bearings. Everything is lubed prior to assembly and HD doesnt list regular maintenance in the service intervals. As hard as some of those pivot shafts come out it would be nice if they had it on a 20,000 mile service.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess your mechanic is talking about the isolators. I doubt your swing arm bushings are bad. I have had to replace the isolators many times but never the swing arm bushing/bearings. I have had some high mile baggers.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
If this guy said that the bushings are inside of the swing arm than this is a person needs to read the manual. There are bearings in side of them since 2002. Earlier models had cleve blocks inside of the swing arm which are made up of rubber and a metal sleeve. The bearings are crap that HD puts in as they only have a side load of less than 100 pounds. We are having 1,200 pound heavy duty bearings made for replacement. I have found that the swing arm bearings last around 40K mi.

The rubber isolator "RUBBER MOUNT ALL" 47564-86B fits into BRACKET rear fork, right (or right) ALL. It takes a while for that to go bad with usually oil damage.

You may try reading a manual for the insite
Howard,
Are those heavy duty bearings for a private project, or do you plan on selling them.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Howard,
Are those heavy duty bearings for a private project, or do you plan on selling them.
Those will be available for sale as a for sure fix. YJey are relpacement bearings that are wider and have about 10X the side load rating. More than a year into it.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks Howard, do you have an estimated release date. It's funny that 2 days ago I was just talking to someone else about the OEM spherical bearings insufficient side load capacity. I was thinking of using 2 sets of thin thrust bearings, and position one on each side of a solid bronze bearing; 1 set for each side of the swing arm. There simply is not a motion requirement that demands a spherical bearing in the swing arm. Actually once the pivot axle is inserted through both spherical bearings it is impossible for those individual bearings to "wobulate" in a manner they were designed for; it’s absolutely the wrong type of bearing for the application.

Quick Reply: Swing arm bushings?