Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of loading ramp...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:43 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what kind of loading ramp...

What would you guys suggest for a loading ramp for my bagger. I have a 1ton truck. Looking for a half decent ramp that I could either walk up beside my bike, or ride up the ramp into the box. Anyone used any of the ramps that you see on some of the internet sites? Need at least 1000 lb rating, I would think. Bike is around 800 and then me. I have a short box truck, the bike just fits into the box. Also would I be able to store the ramp in the box while the bike is tied in there. Don't want to break the bank on a ramp, have used a 2"x12" in the past and just found a fairly level area to unload. But it is probably time to play it a little safer.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the 9' version of this model. Paid around 300.00 for it, and if I remember correctly, it's about 40" wide, so it's not a problem riding up safely. I'm sure there are others out there, and cheaper ones, but I don't regret buying this one at all. http://www.discountramps.com/black-w...cycle-ramp.htm

Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I use the cheap one!

Harbor Freight rated for 1500 pounds,

http://www.harborfreight.com/super-w...amp-90018.html

coupon price today $79, Sams Club has similar

I line the top with a piece of 1/2" plywood it is only 70 inches long, so I put my rear tires in the gutter, my driveway is a bit higher so the loading is ok. I do it myself.

But the 9 footer above looks pretty dandy!

Mike

Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
luvmussel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Big Boy II
http://www.discountramps.com/big-boy...cycle-ramp.htm
Works great. I used it to take the bike camping and pull a camper. I don't use it much any more, I bought a toy hauler... I would be willing to sell but the cost of shipping would be high.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 AM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 8' aluminum one used for ATVs that must be at least 4' wide when unfolded (its 3 sctions wide hinged). I put 3/8 ply on it with sand paint. I have used it many times, but never from the ground up to my 4x4. I always look for a bank and usually use it for a bridge rather than a ramp. I bought the ramp from Cabela's. I fold it and slide it along side the bike in the box.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will find that you need to buy at least an 8' ramp to keep the bike from getting high centered when you load it. I have 8' curved ramps and need to put the back wheels of my 3/4 ton in a low spot (gutter) at the end of my driveway to keep from hitting. I have the aluminum ramps that are rated for 1500 lbs. The rating is for both ramps combined so when you have your 800 lb bike sitting on one ramp (It's difficult/impossible to keep your wheels on both ramps.) you are over the limit. I tie my ramps together to, hopefully, distribute weight on both ramps.

I bought the narrow ramps to save money, and because my garage is full and I needed to save some space. The narrow ramps don't give you enough width to put your feet down when you ride the bike up so I built some cheap wooded ramps to go beside the aluminum ramps. The wood ramps have the same profile as the aluminum ramps and they stack together and fit inside the aluminum ramps for storage.

Yeah, I know - this post is useless without pics. Next time I have the ramps out I'll post a pic.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Tenn Ridge Runner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by luvmussel
I have the Big Boy II
Works great. I used it to take the bike camping and pull a camper. I don't use it much any more, I bought a toy hauler... I would be willing to sell but the cost of shipping would be high.
Shoot me a PM if you would like to sell the ramps. I live near Nashville and pass through Chattanooga freqently when visiting In-laws in GA. I am looking at pulling my camper and putting my bike in the bed. By the way, How well did that work for you?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i found that if you run your truck's front tires up on ramps it'll lower your tailgate quite a bit, making the job of loading or unloading much easier, and much less angle to try to climb.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Tenn Ridge Runner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by luvmussel
I have the Big Boy II
Shoot me a PM if you would like to sell the ramps. I live near Nashville and pass through Chattanooga freqently when visiting In-laws in GA. I am looking at pulling my camper and putting my bike in the bed. By the way, How well did that work for you?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

What ever you get,make sure it is long enough to reduce the angle so your bike does not hi-center at the gate!
Doing the ramp idea or coming off a curb would also help.