Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring vs Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM
jeff137
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touring vs Softail

I'm new on here, but I introduced myself in newbie forum already.

Another question: How big is the comfort difference between a Softail Deluxe and a Streetglide?

A lot of my riding is on backroads, bumpy, potholes, railroad tracks, bad pavement, etc.

A year ago I had a 3rd abdominal surgery which meant I cannot tolerate forward leaning on a bike, so I had to sell my Ducati that I loved. I got a Honda Interceptor VFR800 thinking it would be ok, but it is too forward. So, I'm now moving up to a real bike, a HD because I know the position is ok for my stomach. Now, considering how important the comfort of the ride is for me... Can y'all chime in on how big a difference there is between a Softail Deluxe and a Streetglide? My emotional choice is the Streetglide and I'm pretty sure it is a LOT better due to air suspension, but I want to hear it from the experts. Give me your thoughts please.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

the softail frame has limited suspension travel and compromised geometry for truly effective suspension.
the softail has the drivetrain ( all harleys with the twincam motor have the motor and tranny bolted together as a solid unit) solid mounted to the frame, more vibration.
The softail version of the twincam has counter rotating balancing shafts and is known as the "B" motor

the softail frame was made to "look" like my old Panhead, and it does a good job of looking like an old bike, meanwhile the H-D softail frame design is coming up on 30 years!

the touring series bikes are pretty much all the same ( frame drivetrain, brakes, etc.) the differences is in the fiberglass bolted onto it.
the streetglide has LOWERED rear suspension and a somewhat harsher ride than the full height comparable road king or electraglide. the stock rear suspension uses air pressure to match rebound to weight. pretty good set up, I think.
all the touring ( and dyna) series bikes have the drivetrain mounted on rubber bushings which isolate much of the vibrations.

The 09+ touring bikes are really a great leap forward- new frame introduced in 09, 96" motor ( optional 103 some models) 6 speed, brembos---GET the ABS!

One the best aspects of Harleys is the strong aftermarket for parts and accessories- many options and good pricing compared to say finding a set of pipes for the Duke.

you may want to look at the electraglide classic- get the detachable tourpak mounting kit, and take it off when close to home, put it on for long trips or groceries.
stripped it looks much like a streetglide.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-19-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 PM
jeff137
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great reply Mike. I've been toying with the idea of the Ultra because they make the Shriner version and that could save me a bit of money. It would actually still be a tad more than the Street Glide, but not by much. The only negative about orderering a Shrine version is you have to wait for it to be built, etc. The only thing about the bike itself I don't like is the extra bumpers on the front fender and the bars around the saddle bags. I'm really leaning more toward the Street Glide at this point since there's a 99% chance the wife won't ever ride with me.

A local dealer has quite a few of each in, so I'm going to look in the morning. Still have plenty of time since I need to sell my VFR800 before I make a new purchase. Again, thanks for the info. You've convinced me I am right about choosing a touring model. Now I just have to decide which touring model... Anyone else have things for me to consider?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff not much more that can be said Mike laid it out very well.I've owned both and for me personally there is no comparison in the ride and handling when comparing the touring line to softails.Touring wins hands down in both.

You might also rent one of each for a day and some dealers will put the rental charge towards the purchase after you decide which model.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the fairing bikes tend to be more top heavy especially noticable at slow parking lot speeds. Size and weight have a lot to do with comfort too. A six foot and over, 200 lb and up rider will not be as comfortable on a soft tail as a lighter rider. You would do yourself a big favor to try the Road King, the nicest riding bike IMHO

Old 02-18-2011, 11:26 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

You'll find both models have 1" lwr'd rr/susp, so neither one rides as good as some of the other models in their line. The Deluxe has the "profile" rear shocks. My wifes 03 Heritage has those (hers has the HD frt lwr'g kit as well. I don't care for the ride. I had mine lwr'd too. I put it back to stock. It rode like a pogo stick. I had Progv 422's too (For ONE ride and sold em) All stock now. One click up on the rear shocks and heavy fork oil (PERFECT!!)

I have demo'd both 07 & 09 StreetGlides. I would compare the ride to the stock height Softail. . . . Maybe not quite as good. You get on an Ultra . . . Now (there) is a Cadillac.

I like the Deluxe AND the StreetGlide, but I would put stock height shocks on either one. Here in Sunny Cal-if-for-nia (bay area), you go on a big ride, and 1/2 the bikes there will be StreetGlides, or ElectraGlides set up like StreetGlides. So I'd say the SG took the most popular model badge from the Fatboy. Honestly, if I were you, I would lean towards the StreetGlide. You can add tour pac (etc) and have the full on Bagger, plus the better windshield and tunes. Ride/Rent both @!!!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

You gotta ride them to decide for yourself. What I like, and what's important to me might not be so important to you.

Having said that, the reason I have a road king is that it can be many different bikes. I added a Dragonfly detachable fairing and HD fairing lowers. I also have both the leather saddlebags and color matched hard bags. THe different parts gives me a lot of flexibility, from stripped down around town cruiser to a loaded up touring bike.

I also use my bike as a daily driver when weather permits, and as an errand runner.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

if you do decide on a streetglide, or even a new roadglide, the rear shocks on both models is an inch shorter than on an ultraclassic. that's easy to fix though, i'm using regular electraglide rear shocks on the back of my streetglide which gives me back full travel suspension. it rides great, and looks plenty cool without being lowered with the harsh ride of the stock streetglide.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:59 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the softail has the drivetrain ( all harleys with the twincam motor have the motor and tranny bolted together as a solid unit) solid mounted to the frame, more vibration.
Actually the softails have less vibration.
The counter balancers make it possible to mount the motor solid as opposed to the rubber mounted engines of the dynas.
They need the rubber mounts to counter the vibrations.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 AM
dhincc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I would add is you'll probably want to get different handlebars. The stock, at least on my Ultra, make me lean forward. You can get different ones with more pullback that would be more comfortable for you. They are definitely on my list of upgrades, but no $$$ right now.

Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Touring vs Softail