Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Cam Advice - SE 254E or SE 255 for a big bike?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 255s make enough upper end power to put a smile on your face, and that's coming from someone with a sportbike background. That said, if I was starting from scratch I'd also be looking into the Wood 555....

Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,
Before I modified my 2011 Tri-Glide, I consulted with Icklick and a few other members in the know. I'm very pleased with the performance of the 255 cams on a very heavy bike two up with gear. My dealer agreed to cover the warranty on the mods listed on my signature as they are all HD parts installed by them. The header and mufflers were not an issue. The only difference was the use of the TTS tuner vs the SEPro tuner.

That being said, I talked the dealer principal into allowing me to use a much better tuner (the TTS). This is an amazing unit that will allow you to change parameters you never thought possible. I spent two days at Doc Weaver's V-Tuning school to learn how the Delphi system works and how to V-Tune the Trike as dyno's are not available here.

This was an amazing experience and well worth the money. Doc is a great guy and will answer any question you can throw at him. I now have a Trike that can keep up with almost anyone in the range where I ride. I can't speak highly enough about the performance gain and the reduction in heat with the mods performed.

Icklick,
If you read this, I won't have to send a PM. Thanks for the good advice Bro.

Buddy.....

Old 03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Icklick,
If you read this, I won't have to send a PM. Thanks for the good advice Bro.
I read it and you're welcome! Glad the cams were up to expectations like they were for me.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 PM
pilgrim08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading the HD pdf, seems like the 254e would stay strong at a higer rpm than the 255? Not a great amount, though.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on being pleased with the performance of the 255's. Installed in April of last year and very satisfied with them.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not confused on the cams question but more on his fuelpak that the OP said he has. It was my understanding that the fuelpak's limits would be exceeded with the addition of cams. Just curious.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile 254E cams

Originally Posted by parakiller
I just installed the 245e's....the 254e's are a newer cam and alot of folks are just getting to "know" it. I would tell you how my bike performs but there is alot of snow on the ground here...still have to wait for the thaw before I take her out on her not so maided voyage with new cams...I will keep you posted if you are interested.
Please do keep us updated on that cam.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 PM
2011FLHTK
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish all the good advice made my choice easier, but it had the opposite effect.

The one thing I am sure of is that I would probably be happy with either cam. I think they both have supporters and detractors, and all for very good reasons. You guys did a great job explaining your choices.

I had another chat with the guys at the shop today (the dyno is still down awaiting parts). I told them that what I am looking for in terms of an improvement over the stock cams is the ability to pull away or pass other vehicles at highway speed. I don't need or want to set any records light to light. So although I don't usually ride in the higher RPMs, its actually in the high RPMs where I want to see a difference over the stock cams. I am happy with the off-the-line pull of the bike as it is. They still feel that the 254E is the right cam for what I want, and I now agree. Its not a better cam, its just better suited to the change I want to see. Anyway, my mind is now made up and my fingers are crossed.

Parakiller, please let me know how you feel about your choice once you have had a chance to ride.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Riding like normal baggers SE 255 are good unless you want to drag race it and beat the crap out of every one else riding with you then you might want to go non HD cams but keep in mind no HD warranty either.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011FLHTK

I had another chat with the guys at the shop today (the dyno is still down awaiting parts). I told them that what I am looking for in terms of an improvement over the stock cams is the ability to pull away or pass other vehicles at highway speed. I don't need or want to set any records light to light. So although I don't usually ride in the higher RPMs, its actually in the high RPMs where I want to see a difference over the stock cams.
Fwiw, the 255 does pull hard at higher RPMs, MUCH harder than the stock cams. When I'm riding with my friends on sport bikes I am always hammering the bike at 4k and above and really don't feel a need for more power as I'm hurling toward the next corner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Cam Advice - SE 254E or SE 255 for a big bike?