Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-tune bike with Vance & Hines Power Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
BradyG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-tune bike with Vance & Hines Power Duals?

Thinking hard about ordering the Vance & Hines Power duals with either the high output or monster oval slip-ons for my '11 FLHTK. While reading the install sheet, it describes why I need to buy the fuel management system as the new exhaust changes the air flow. I really don't care to add the fuel management system so what are my options?

Thanks to all

Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

Go simple with a FuelPak or leave the air cleaner stock and you shouldn't have any problems. Althought you do have a cat in the pipe so thats gonna be a tough question but I think it'll have the same outcome.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you add a high flow A/C & Power Commander you will be much happier with your upgrade! It will run much better and cooler. And you'll be ready for when you do your cam upgrade! LOL!!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Chuckles1956
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
If you add a high flow A/C & Power Commander you will be much happier with your upgrade! It will run much better and cooler. And you'll be ready for when you do your cam upgrade! LOL!!

I totally agree... I just did the cam upgrade (255E), and while I was at it I had them change the pipes (Vance & Hines Power Duals) inst Rush slip-ons, a BIG sucker A/C and went with the SE Tuner, and man-O-man.... what a difference...

Just finished putting on 1500 miles on the pipes and mufflers so it's time for the dyno... Yes, it's a good idea to burn in the new exhaust system prior to doing the dyno, to get the best results. At least that's what my Mech wanted anyway, & I trust him to know his job.. can't wait to see and feel the difference..

Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe going from the factory 2-1 (not much goes out the left pipe) to a dual system would require more than just, well nothing! Some will tell you that putting on just mufflers will require a change in programming which I don't agree with but changing out the whole "out" for the exhaust, I'd be worried if I didn't do more. Fuel-Moto can get you set up, Call Jamie or Keith, they'll tell you the facts. Also as a bonus, they had the best prices on the exhaust components you plan on buying, at least they did when I was looking. I have everything in my sig and it was dyno tuned, I am very happy with the results...my wallet, not so much!
Good Luck

Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 03-20-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 AM
BradyG
Advanced

Mechanic at C&C Cycles in Cowpens told me yesterday that I could change the headers and slip-ons to Vance & Hines with no danger of the bike running hot. He said the '11's would compensate for it going lean and there was no worry. What do YOU think about that?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 AM
sokanxx
Advanced

You need a tuner! V&H Power Duals and Slip Ons have removed the stock Cat, High Flow Air Cleaner has greatly improved your air intake. You have significantly improved your air system and you need to add more fuel, way more fuel then the stock Fuel Injection can make up for. As far as I know the V&H Fuel Pak has nothing for the 103". The TTS Master Tune is the best tuner and I suggest you find the best dyno tuner avail to optimize your system. you have spent about $1200 on your exhaust and intake. Dont be cheap on your Tune!!

Last edited by sokanxx; 03-21-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sokanxx
You need a tuner! you have spent about $1200 on your exhaust and intake. Dont be cheap on your Tune!!
And you have spent in the neighborhood of $25K on the bike itself.
You asked our opinion and we have given it, what you do with our opinion is up to you. I would complete the job with a tuner and a tune, to really do it right, throw some cams in there

Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 AM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sokanxx
You need a tuner! V&H Power Duals and Slip Ons have removed the stock Cat, High Flow Air Cleaner has greatly improved your air intake. You have significantly improved your air system and you need to add more fuel, way more fuel then the stock Fuel Injection can make up for. As far as I know the V&H Fuel Pak has nothing for the 103". The TTS Master Tune is the best tuner and I suggest you find the best dyno tuner avail to optimize your system. you have spent about $1200 on your exhaust and intake. Dont be cheap on your Tune!!
I have a 2011 with a 103" and Vance & Hines does have a tune for the 103"

Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I also own a 2011 FLHTK with the 103". Right off the showroom floor I had a V&H power duals and monster ovals installed. A SE high intake breather element and a PC 5 tuner was installed all at the recommendation of the shop as well as V&H. The only thing I asked the master tech at the dealership was that he do it as he would his own. I have yet to have the bike on the road as it is still winter here in my area but I'm certainly getting anxious to ride.

Quick Reply: Re-tune bike with Vance & Hines Power Duals?