Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a vinyl wrap on my bike.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Thinking about a vinyl wrap on my bike.

I did a search...not really any info on it.

Anyone have any REAL experience with it (any type of vehicle). I've been thinking about painting my bike, came across the vinyl wrap. Hell of a LOT cheaper than paint and has a 5 yr warranty. Easier to take care of too.

A lot of exotic car owners do it. I would be going with a flat black wrap. I think it would be cool.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought about doing that to my bike before I painted it. I dont know if you can get it over the compound curves the way it would need to. If you do it post some pictures. I would like to see how it comes out. Good luck

Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A local computer business has some nissan xterra's that have the vinyl wrap and theyve looked the same for at least 3 years without any fading or anything. I see them driving them through the automatic carwash regularly.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out theses guys a lot of info here, with tons of picks to choose from

http://www.powersportswraps.com/index.php

Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to work in a carbon fiber shop, and we built bodies for NHRA funny cars, after we would pull a body out of a mold we would put the hard points in then take it a few blocks down the road, and they would wrap them, there are a lot of compound curves in a Funny Car body, I don't see why you couldn't do a bike.
There are several places here in INDY, and Brownsburg that do it every day.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
denalion22
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you are local to socal...My buddies shop is second to none. They are in Sherman Oaks California. He specializes in high end cars.... I have seen him do a few bikes as well... Pretty bitchin stuff.

My only concern is the vinyl getting too hot near the motor areas and by the exhaust... That stuff stretches with heat.

I do lots of business with him for my company and we apply that stuff using high heat to allow it to stretch in the crevasses and in corners etc...

my only concern is high temps to the engine and exhaust causing pre mature wrap failing and melting... Which would truly suck

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

just a flat black?

then how about just painting it.

I think a wrap ( if it would work) would be preferable for graphics.---I wonder how the original finish would hold up under a wrap-?

mike

Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
harleyiron80
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the price differance on paint and a wrap

Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 PM
denalion22
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint will be protected and would be just fine... Trust me on that... its how will the wrap hold to the heat? (motor/Exhaust)

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for ALL the replies...

Originally Posted by denalion22
I see you are local to socal...My buddies shop is second to none. They are in Sherman Oaks California. He specializes in high end cars.... I have seen him do a few bikes as well... Pretty bitchin stuff.

My only concern is the vinyl getting too hot near the motor areas and by the exhaust... That stuff stretches with heat.

I do lots of business with him for my company and we apply that stuff using high heat to allow it to stretch in the crevasses and in corners etc...

my only concern is high temps to the engine and exhaust causing pre mature wrap failing and melting... Which would truly suck
Thanks for the info on the heat around the engine and exhaust. I will see if they stand by their warranty due to heat issues. Also, I think if it were an issue, they would quit doing bikes and/or not offer a warranty. BTW, which company does your friend work for?

Originally Posted by mkguitar
just a flat black?

then how about just painting it.

I think a wrap ( if it would work) would be preferable for graphics.---I wonder how the original finish would hold up under a wrap-?

mike
Yeah, I've always wanted a flat black Street Glide and I like to keep it simple. No flames, graphics, scallops, etc for me. About the paint underneath...everything I've read/heard is it will protect it, no harm whatsoever. But, everything I've read/heard is that you must have it professionally removed as well. So, 5 years form now...it's like my bike's paint hasn't changed.

Originally Posted by harleyiron80
whats the price differance on paint and a wrap
Price? I got quoted $800 to do the bike. Just to put it in perspective, I paid $600 to get just my bags & fender painted...and that was a "hook-up" price. If I got it painted, to save on cost, I would have to dismantle the bike, take in the parts, wait for paint (couple weeks) and put the bike back together...or pay extra to have all that done. The wrap installer can have it done in a day and not really have to do a major dismantling.

The following users liked this post:
IAmWoody (03-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Thinking about a vinyl wrap on my bike.