Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Street Glide - Model Year Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 12:04 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King vs Street Glide - Model Year Advice

Howdy All - I've been away for faaaar too long - but, I have returned. I'm currently "vacationing in Afghanistan" (as a civ contractor) and expect to return next spring. As my signature says, I've got some plans to fulfill - and am hoping to get a little advice from folks here.

Here's a little background:
My last two bikes were a 2001 Road King Classic (that I stripped down & lowered very nicely) and a 2007 Street Bob I loved both bikes. Surprisingly, the Street Bob gave me the MOST comfortable ride I've ever had as far as "fit": forward controls & miniapes were sweet. But I need to be back on a touring bike. The size, bags, etc - its where I belong.

So - when I get back, I'm grabbing all my stuff from Cleveland & moving down to Jacksonville, FL where I can ride year round. I'm planning on getting either another Road King - or a Street Glide. I'm not too familiar with the last few model years (I don't plan on buying new - say, 2008 or newer?). haven't seen/heard anything on the 2012 models - but doubt I'll consider buying new when I can save $$$ going a year or two old. I know I have a lot of reading to catch up on in the forums to bring myself up to speed.

The reason I like the Street Glide: Fairing (for colder day & some bug/debris deflection - though not as big an issue in FL as it was in OH), radio. Essentially, to me at least, everything else is the same as a Road King - or at least very similar.

The reason I like the Road King: Doesn't have the fairing - and looks more "pure" to me as a bike. Easier to install miniapes & looks better to me. I'm not a huge "chrome" fan, so I tend to strip stuff OFF of bikes instead of putting things on'em. I may still have pics in my albums here of both these bikes to give you an idea what I like.

I am considering extended controls (never a fan of the floorboards) for whichever bike I get. I don't plan on keeping a windshield on full time if I get a Road King. I know you CAN put speakers/sound on a Road King - but all the systems I've seen look kinda goofy & sounded "ok". The Street Glide sound systems I've seen have rocked. I don't "need" music - but it'd be nice. Maybe someone's come up with a low-profile solid/dependable sound system for the RK since I"ve been away?

So obviously I have some decisions to make - but what else am I missing that you think I should consider?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser

If you're looking to buy possibly new, don't go older than a 2009 touring model. HD made several impressive upgrades to the 2009 and newer touring models, including the frame, helical cut 5th gear, and several others. The ride is incredible. Like anything else, you'll have to be the one to make your decision, music or no music. I love my king because of the versatility. The wife can come along comfortably for a great touring trip, or I can loose her and the windsheild for a gorgeous crusing ride. I don't have personal experience, but I hear the HD Boom Audio set up integrated into the RK's windshield are pretty impressive, and don't look to stupid. There are a couple recent posts about that out there. Be safe, and good luck sir.

Last edited by cjairplane; 03-19-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

2011 with the 103 power pak and cruise and don't look back.

Finest Harley's ever made are the Touring bikes rolling off the line right now.

I love my new scooter. Leaps and bounds ahead of my former hog (2005 FXDI).

~Joe

Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Buddy of mine just bought this set-up:http://www.cyclematters.com/motorcyc...-windshild.cfm

Complete kit includes all wiring and mounting hardware.
  • Boom! Audio™ Cruiser Amp and Speaker Kit: P/N 76321-09, $399.95
  • Boom! Audio™ Tank Pouch: P/N 91003-10, $39.95
Fits 2009-later Heritage Softail Classic and 2000-later Road King® and Road King® Classic with stock, low profile or tall King-Size windshields. Fits 2007-later Fat Boy® and Fat Boy® Lo with detachable King-Size windshields. 2111 Softail® models require separate purchase of Electrical Connection Kit P/N 72673-11.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:26 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another option is to get a Road King, nothing older than the 09' with the new frame and pick up an after market fairing. You will save a ton of $$$ and you have the best of 3 worlds...no windshield, windshield, and fairing w/tunes.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default SG or RK

I agree with previous posts, 09 or newer. The new frame and bigger tire are really nice.

I traded my RK classic on a X. Both bikes are very nice and you can't go wrong with either one. I am glad I traded for the X. I really like the way the bike looks and runs. Both bikes ride great and are great for long or short rides.

Make sure you ride both before deciding.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This new frame is outstanding in my opinion.

~Joe

Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 PM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser

I was going back and forth between the SG and the RK and the members here with the detachable fairings helped me make my decision to "have the best of three worlds", so I ordered a RK. I also wanted the old school look of the road king (and the special edition color) and figured I would just be adding the accessories that have been stripped off the SG (driving lights, longer rear shock, crash bars). It was a difficult decision but it was mine. They are both nice bikes and you can't go wrong. My 2 cents.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:55 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humboldtsgt
I was going back and forth between the SG and the RK and the members here with the detachable fairings helped me make my decision to "have the best of three worlds", so I ordered a RK. I also wanted the old school look of the road king (and the special edition color) and figured I would just be adding the accessories that have been stripped off the SG (driving lights, longer rear shock, crash bars). It was a difficult decision but it was mine. They are both nice bikes and you can't go wrong. My 2 cents.
Well said. Same decision made here. I can say that the radios are tempting and the do rock when the bike is sitting still. However, nothing compares to a car/house stero. Bikes don't rock at 70mph. They just play treble everyone else has to hear

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

Wow - some great advice. Thanks everyone. I get it to stay with '09 and up - not a problem there. I just need to compare the changes between 09/10/11 and soon to be 12.
I also forgot about the detach fairing for the RK. That or that HD Boom audio may just be what the doctor ordered for me. Looks like I have some things to research in my downtime over here in A'stan tonight!

I'm thinking if I just have the "option" to have tunes and/or the fairing - that might be just perfect.
With my last RK, I had a windshield, thick 2 up seat & detach backrest - but I only put'em on when I really felt the need to (more like "had to" for someone else's comfort). Otherwise, I cruised around solo on a low profile seat & let the wind & bugs pour over me

So 10 minutes ago - I was leaning towards the SG - but after reading this post - I'm back on the RK. I figrue I could easily setup the Boom Audio (providing I like the reviews I'm about to search for). And if I HAD to - I could pick up the fairing down the road...if memory serves me correct - the RK costs a bit less than the SG too...

Quick Reply: Road King vs Street Glide - Model Year Advice