Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 download

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 download

PCIII installs in about 5 minutes, mounts under the right side cover, plug 'n play harness!

Old 10-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

You know what.....

You asked for the difference between a Stage I and Stage II... You got it.....

A PC/SERT does NOT fit in the equation of a Stage Conversion, unless you are after PRECISION Tuneability or using "Other" components (A/C, Slip-On Muffs, Cams, Pistons)....

BH, You stepped all over this with your PC this, and PC that..... Having nothing to do with the original query.....

Streetrunner, why woulkd you revert an ECM backwards... The PC is tuned AGAINST and in concert with the established ECM flash (ie Percentages + or - base map, and you get a TRUE rev limit, not PC's "Version" of cheating the ECM and keeping the SAME FUEL/Spark Map fron 57k to 62k rpm....

Old 10-15-2006, 05:27 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,677 Likes on 4,069 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

You know what.....

You asked for the difference between a Stage I and Stage II... You got it.....

A PC/SERT does NOT fit in the equation of a Stage Conversion, unless you are after PRECISION Tuneability or using "Other" components (A/C, Slip-On Muffs, Cams, Pistons)....

BH, You stepped all over this with your PC this, and PC that..... Having nothing to do with the original query.....

Streetrunner, why woulkd you revert an ECM backwards... The PC is tuned AGAINST and in concert with the established ECM flash (ie Percentages + or - base map, and you get a TRUE rev limit, not PC's "Version" of cheating the ECM and keeping the SAME FUEL/Spark Map fron 57k to 62k rpm....
-------------------------

Thanks Shovelhead for getting the question reaffirmed, I've been studying all I can on the PC and other products and combos but the dozen threads on all this subject are just too cluttered and contradicting.

And could I move the thread a bit one direction for a minute cause it will help me and might be the help the thread starter was after:

My 07 Ultra is damn perfect for MY riding except for two issues... It runs pretty hot (which ain't good for the long term of the scoot), and, Though it is a fast *****, the acceleration seat of the pants feedback seems like she has a potato stuffed up each pipe. Just ain't breathing like that stock engine should be.

So, which do you think (the Stage 1 or the Stage 2?) is the right fix for the mere improvements I'm after? I don't care about being the fastest in a drag race anymore, or finding 3 more horsepower.

Thank Ye,

Old 10-15-2006, 11:20 PM
baron3547
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply,

I have S&S 510 gears, K&N Filter and Thunderheaders. If I am correct the previous owner told me he had a Stage 1 or Stage 2 download when he had the cams installed. What I would like to know now; can a I use a PC III regardless of which Stage is installed? Or do I have to have my ECM put back to stock? I would like my bike to be as fast as possible without changing the heads.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

BigSled... Sounds like you are wanting to "Clean Up" a few issues, and not so much for the "Perfect Tune for Performance"......

Easy and simple mod for you would be a High Flow A/C unit (SEAC/K&N)... I'd recommend the K&N, as it is an oiled filter and lasts longer....

Next would be the mufflers.... Your choice (V&H/Rush/Rinehart Slip-ons).... Check them out for your desired sound and appearance.....

As far as a Fuel Management set-up, stick with something simple, like a TFO/SERF... No sense in buying a PC/SERT, unless you plan on doing engine mods down the road....

Essentially, you are doing a Stage I without the ECM Flash, but modifying the Injector Dwell with the TFO/SERF (Adding fuel when needed, cooling the motor down)....

Baron.....

If there is no PC/SERT with the bike now, with the 510G's (close but bigger than 203's), more than likely it has a Stage II Flash....

Only way to verify it is with Digital Tech/SERT Data Mode/and I think the Twinscan will show current calibration.....

You WILL need to verify the ECM status if you order a PC from somewhere like FuelMoto, or you can start with a "Zero" map and you or your tuner can adjust up or down from the Stage programming in the ECM.....

No sense in going to a Stock ECM flash, just tune on top of what is already in the ECM, plus you have the Rev Limiter bumped up......

Old 10-16-2006, 03:33 AM
msscull
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use the PC regardless. If you have the factory football cover, look behind it without removing.

Below is a general guideline. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

1. Is it an 88 or 95?

2. Can you see the black backing plate?

3. If you do not have a black backing plate, have the blue round filter, & it is an 88" then you probably have the Stage 1 download.

4. If you do not have a black backing plate, have the blue round filter, & it is a 95", then you probably have the Stage 2 download.

Hope htis helps.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,677 Likes on 4,069 Posts

Thanks Shovelhead...
It's making sense now and think I'm on the path now to my simple fixes of heat and getting the 07 to breathe freer.

Cheers!