Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tuner or Power Commander??

Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 PM
07Custom1200
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Tuner or Power Commander??

Hello, I am kinda a newbie to wrenching on my Harley. I consider myself a pretty good wrench, but i am kinda nervous to touch my expensive to me 2005 Road King Classic!

Ok, for starters my I just traded my Fat bob for a used Road King. It has a stage II 95" kit along with a screaming eagle air cleaner and screaming eagle exhaust. Now to my question, I am pretty sure that my bike does not have a tuner. If my bike would have it, it would be under my seat right?? If my bike does not have a tuner how much would I benefit from a Dynojet Power Commander or the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner? Or any other tuner for that matter!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thankyou in advance!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

If you had a tuner and it was the SERT, you would have been given a little black dongle to accompany the bike. It will not be attached to the bike. If it has a Power Commander or FuelPak or other modem type tuner you would find it under the right side cover right on top of the ECM (ziptied to the ECM). It could very well simply have a dealer download in it. If it does not have a tuner and you want one, it could gain you a few ponies in hp and torque if you had it dialed in right by a dynotune. If your bike is running good now, I would not worry about a tuner right now, but instead concentrate on if the bike has the stock tensioners in the camchest and, depending on mileage, whether those need to be changed out. There are several options there when doing that.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

What he said.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM
1/3 life crisis
Banned

Screaming eagle tuner all the way. PC basically tricks your engine and could fry you ECM. SE tuner works with your engine. More expense 900-1000 fr the tuner ad the tuning at Harley. But money well spent i promise you!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:16 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No PC for me. SERT or PowerVision. Fix the mechanical. Get the tuner later - with the AC and pipes. I'd lean to the PV if you have the $.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fairingfactory
Screaming eagle tuner all the way. PC basically tricks your engine and could fry you ECM. SE tuner works with your engine. More expense 900-1000 fr the tuner ad the tuning at Harley. But money well spent i promise you!
I picked up the SE Tuner (the pro version), software and cables, and flashed the ECM myself. Save you some bucks if you have a standard build (it comes with several "standard" component downloads). If you understand the electronic fuel injection, etc., you can update the tables yourself.

I didn't like the idea of a piggyback unit on the bike.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fairingfactory

Your post intrigues me.

Could you explain a bit more on how a PC might fry the ECM?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using the HD SEPST here and working great. I had a PCIII on a previous bike and it worked fine but there are many upgrades and other later technology systems out there now.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
07Custom1200
6th Gear

Thanks guys for all of the advice!! Information My bike does have 23,000 miles. My bike seems to run ok, but i was just wanting to try and get a little more umph. I looked under my right cover and i dont have any tuner, and HD did not give me a little dongle.

Dawg just wanted to especially thank my fellow brother in blue, i really like your club! quick question about the stock tensioners. what are my options? and what does that benefit?? Thankyou guys very much!!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I missing something here, I don't seem to find the TTS mentioned, another item that would not be on the bike. Although I agree it should have been with the bike, it is possible that is has been tuned with the TTS.

I mean although an item that should be kept with the bike, it is easily forgot (or at least by me), like a couple of weeks ago, when I had the 555's in and was going to tune, I drove to the dyno, and what had I forgotten, to get the TTS out of my closet, so back home I went, to get it. So I could see maybe trading in my bike and then realizing months latter (when I saw the box in my closet) that I never gave the dealer my TTS.

Last edited by Copyless; 03-30-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race Tuner or Power Commander??