Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirp, squeak, squeal noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirp, squeak, squeal noise?

I have a noise that is driving me up a wall. My 01 Road King has an annoying noise happening but just some of the time. It is more a chirp then a squeal but is constant ONLY when the bike is accererating. It is not there at idle or when the bike is cruising. Roll the throttle on a bit though and it shows up. Except when you are stopped then revving the throttle doesn't bring it on. Also, it seems to be worse the colder the weather and the colder the bike. After 12-15 miles it stops or at at least gets way quieter.

I have had the drive belt chirp before and have waxed the edges of it and had it stop. Will try that next but it doesn't sound like that. I am thinking wheel bearing??? Or god forbid something in the motor. She had a mild build (cams, big bore, heads cleaned up) about 12,000 ago.

One other riddle. I drove home in a downpour last week and the next day, the noise was gone. The day after that, it was back.

Help!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 PM
dboyenga
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same thing. Chances are its the rubber grommet/bushing type thing on the muffler mount under the bags. Rubber gets hard and squeaks. Temporary fix is to spray it with silicone or WD-40, something like that and it will go away for a while. I've been doing that and it helps for a while but am thinking of replacing them this year if/when the noise comes back. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
blwright
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have that squeak as well and have determined that it is coming from the muffler too. To fix this are you guys just removing the bags and spraying the bolts where it mounts underneath the bags ?

I'm thinking a good solution for me would be to replace my mufflers with a nicer set ...lol

Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 PM
dboyenga
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blwright
I have that squeak as well and have determined that it is coming from the muffler too. To fix this are you guys just removing the bags and spraying the bolts where it mounts underneath the bags ?

I'm thinking a good solution for me would be to replace my mufflers with a nicer set ...lol
You don't need to remove the bags to do the spray fix I mentioned earlier. Just a spray can with spray tube will get you up into the rubber piece that chirps.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the bolts. It's the rubber blwright.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 PM
blwright
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wally
It's not the bolts. It's the rubber blwright.
Awesome ! This sqeekin crap is gonna stop tonite !

Old 03-25-2011, 03:57 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Does it sound like it's coming from the front of your primary......had the same thing on my 01.....comp nut was loose. I noticed the squealing from my bags and did the spray..that stopped that squeal...but not the squeal when cold.

Last edited by BigAlsRK; 03-25-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
steelhead
Road Master

Al,

I can't tell where it is coming from. If it is the comp nut then I assume you ahve to pull the primary cover right?

D.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Right.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM
trailey97
Tourer

[QUOTE=steelhead;8096259]I have a noise that is driving me up a wall. My 01 Road King has an annoying noise happening but just some of the time. It is more a chirp then a squeal but is constant ONLY when the bike is accererating. <-------....lol

sure it aint a beer can hung up back there??? lol

+1 on the rubber....do it all the time

Quick Reply: Chirp, squeak, squeal noise?