Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SE compensator kit w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 11:40 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid
I really like the concept of that Southern Oregon Hot Bikes hydraulic tensioner. This is the first I've heard of it, I thought I'd researched the tensioner thing pretty well when I replaced my compensator 2 years ago. Anyone out there using this? Any problems with it?
yep, I am, it was my post. Of all the reading I've done on it I liked theirs the best. so far so good.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, after 16k miles and almost 1 year, I've inspected the Screaming Eagle compensator I installed last summer. Looks very good, I'm pleasantly surprised. From all I've read about failed comps, I figured to see much more wear.

Magnetic plug with filings...

The JB Weld I used instead of the expensive MoCo adhesive is holding up very well. No signs of cracking or breakdown at all.

Very minimal wear on the Baker Armored Attitude adjuster, grooves are no more than .005 deep. Only complaints are, it does require periodic adjustment. Though that's only once every year for the miles I ride. The other issue is the whine it makes on decel, which is why I've replaced it with the Southern Oregon Hotbikes HB125-07 hydraulic tensioner.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:19 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Well, after 16k miles and almost 1 year, I've inspected the Screaming Eagle compensator I installed last summer. Looks very good, I'm pleasantly surprised. From all I've read about failed comps, I figured to see much more wear.

Very minimal wear on the Baker Armored Attitude adjuster, grooves are no more than .005 deep. Only complaints are, it does require periodic adjustment. Though that's only once every year for the miles I ride. The other issue is the whine it makes on decel, which is why I've replaced it with the Southern Oregon Hotbikes HB125-07 hydraulic tensioner.
so you went w/ the SOHO too....

Curious, are you reusing your primary gasket at all? I wouldn't ask, but they're like $30+ and I'd like to inspect my newly installed SE comp early next year too, but that gasket price is kinda high for just an inspection.

I did an oil change the other day and also dumped the primary fluid, just to see if it had abnormal color/wear & what the drain plug looked like. Plug and fluid looked normal. Using F+

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm using Formula + also, for all 97k miles so far. I put a new gasket on last year with the new comp and Baker tensioner. Pulled the cover 2 weeks later just to inspect, reused the gasket. Used it again yesterday, just wipe it down with degreaser and make sure you don't bend it. I'll continue to reuse it until I mess it up or it just seems like it's time for a new one. I saved the original just in case.

The following users liked this post:
F150HD (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

I'm using Formula + also, for all 97k miles so far. I put a new gasket on last year with the new comp and Baker tensioner. Pulled the cover 2 weeks later just to inspect, reused the gasket. Used it again yesterday, just wipe it down with degreaser and make sure you don't bend it. I'll continue to reuse it until I mess it up or it just seems like it's time for a new one. I saved the original just in case.
put a new primary cover on my Fatboy years back. the 'new' primary cover gasket I bought leaked....wtf? So I pulled the cover and reused the original OEM gasket that came on the bike....go figure, it worked fine. Just wondered how **** folks were about this gasket. If it were a few bucks no big deal....but $30+.....

Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 AM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I reused my primary cover gasket on a couple different softails I have owned and just a couple of weeks ago on my ultra and never had ANY problems. Just made sure the old gasket was clean with no tears or bends

Old 08-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

thanks to who started this thread and who all helped it along.
gonna install the SE comp in my 2008 Road Glide this week before a trip because my hot starts are ugly....hoping this fixes it.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:32 PM
fenwick
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

so after reading this post, don't know what I want to go with, SE, baker or the eliminator. please give me your input

Old 08-07-2018, 05:45 AM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
yep, I am, it was my post. Of all the reading I've done on it I liked theirs the best. so far so good.
How is that SOHO tensioner working out so far? You like it better than the Baker attitude adjuster?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by propflux01

How is that SOHO tensioner working out so far? You like it better than the Baker attitude adjuster?
Have never had a Baker but it reminded me of the stock tensioner on my 05 Fatboy which needed manual adjustment on occasion. Primary cover had an inspection port for that....rarely adjusted it.

SOHO is good so far few thousand miles later. I may do an inspection next summer? or summer after? tho not this year. Will post update then.

Looking at putting one in my 2012 as well. Haven't had issue w/ the 2012 but its at 50k and pulling primary cover to inspect this and that...so while I'm in there kinda thing.

The following users liked this post:
propflux01 (08-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Installing SE compensator kit w/pics