Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No adjustment in hydraulic clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to resurrect an old thread. 2005 Road Glide with hydraulic clutch. When cold it is fine. 30 minutes into a ride, clutch slips badly. Pull the clutch in, it clearly disengages. New SE clutch installed 300 miles ago and problem is back. So now what?

Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Ah ha, problem solved.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

great, now how about letting the rest of us know what it was.....

Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyrube
Ah ha, problem solved.

So, what was the problem?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

It's a secret.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 AM
ican
Tourer
Default Hyd clutch fluid

If you have a hyd clutch, remember to change the fluid. I've seen bikes with 20,000 miles that were having clutch problems. Changing and bleeding was all that was needed. Don't forget to change the brake fluid at the same time. Won't help the clutch, but makes a difference on how the brakes work.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:57 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

The answer appears to be

Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM
CGlider
Stage IV
Angry 2014 Hyd Clutches on Police Bikes Suck

Have a 2014 ElectraGlide Police and hate the hydraulic clutch. There is no friction zone and engagement is only after 1 1/2 inch of lever travel. If I could replace it tomorrow with the old clutch I would. I haven't met a motor officer yet with a 2014 who doesn't hate them. My last HD certified motor instructor rides a 2012 and couldn't understand what I was complaining about until I had him ride mine. He stalled it three times trying to demo slow ride.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:08 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

First I saw of this thread. There is absolutely a way to make the hydraulic clutch adjustable, well where the lever sits in regards to the grip. An adjustable bolt that takes the place of the prong that presses on on the m/c piston Been done forever on disc brakes to adjust the lever to grip distance. Duplicate it on the clutch. Or did fab already think of that?

Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I get it , there is no adjustment in the hydraulic clutch but it doesn't make any sense. I just installed my hydraulic clutch, bled properly, 0.110" throw out travel (way more than the minimum acceptable 0.065"). I have to pull the lever almost all the way to the grip befor the clutch disengages, and on release as soon as the lever comes off the grip it starts engaging. 18k miles, no clutch issues prior to change. Seems to me that an adjustable push rod would still be necessary for proper "adjustment" even with a hydraulic clutch. The friction zone and exactly where it falls in the lever travel is a matter of personal preference, so it needs to be adjustable. I know the textbook answer is no adjustment, but does anybody know a technique or trick to tweak the friction zone in the hydraulic clutch? Looking at the old release system and the new hydraulic system, it doesn't look like it would be that difficult to incorporate the original jam nut type adjuster into the new hydraulic system. I'm a machinist so building the parts is not a concern. Does anybody see any other problems with adding an adjustable pushrod to the hydraulic clutch system?
The further out the adjustment at the clutch basket the further out on the lever for engagement. Call Baker Drivetr. They will tell you quickly...

Quick Reply: No adjustment in hydraulic clutch?