Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No adjustment in hydraulic clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:24 PM
lenbt
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Just picked up 2018 SGS, Saturday dumped it today turning into the parking lot thought I was in the friction zone but I wasn't damn clutch was totally disengaged tapped the rear brake a little too hard and down she went.
No damage to the bike, a little sting to my ego.Need to get more acclimated with it.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM
HarleyGTP
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

There's been some work done to the M8 clutches over the recent years that supposedly alleviate these problems. I've ordered the parts and I'll post a reply here when I get around to test-fitting them.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:18 PM
jwbenning
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oberon Adjustable Clutch Lever

Originally Posted by GOV5
The Oberon lever will allow you to alter how far away from the grip the clutch engages. BUT, it will not allow you to change the distance parameters of the friction zone. it seems that the friction zone with hydraulic clutches is VERY narrow. That is what the cops hate about them.
I just installed the Oberon adjustable clutch and brake levers on my 2017 FLHTK. I have small hands and the adjustable clutch lever works great for moving the friction point closer to the handle bar. There is one problem. If you get the clutch adjusted to move the friction point closer to the bar, it may be too close to activate the internal switch that allows you to start the motor while in gear. As long as you don't stall while starting, its no problem. If you do stall and have difficulty finding neutral while those behind you at the stop light that just turned green are honking, you can quickly adjust the clutch lever 2 clicks allowing enough range to activate the switch and start the motor in gear.

Last edited by jwbenning; 04-24-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: gramatical error
Old 08-30-2022, 04:46 PM
RJ42
Stage IV

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I get it , there is no adjustment in the hydraulic clutch but it doesn't make any sense. I just installed my hydraulic clutch, bled properly, 0.110" throw out travel (way more than the minimum acceptable 0.065"). I have to pull the lever almost all the way to the grip befor the clutch disengages, and on release as soon as the lever comes off the grip it starts engaging. 18k miles, no clutch issues prior to change. Seems to me that an adjustable push rod would still be necessary for proper "adjustment" even with a hydraulic clutch. The friction zone and exactly where it falls in the lever travel is a matter of personal preference, so it needs to be adjustable. I know the textbook answer is no adjustment, but does anybody know a technique or trick to tweak the friction zone in the hydraulic clutch? Looking at the old release system and the new hydraulic system, it doesn't look like it would be that difficult to incorporate the original jam nut type adjuster into the new hydraulic system. I'm a machinist so building the parts is not a concern. Does anybody see any other problems with adding an adjustable pushrod to the hydraulic clutch system?
I just bought the shorty trigger levers & before I installed the clutch lever I noticed the pocket where the hydraulic switch sits, was a bit bigger then the stock levers was. After examining the stock lever it looks like there’s an extra layer inside the existing pocket. Tried to pull it out and a tiny piece chipped off. So I left it.

I worried that the clutch wouldn’t fully engage or release with the new levers cause when I let off the clutch it didn’t spring all the way back to start position. So far it seems to work pretty well though. Took a minute to get use to the friction zone being so close to the grip again. But it’s actually right where I want it. Now when I pull clutch lever in it engages close to the grip & I don’t have to reach all the way out to grab it lever.

Point of this is, maybe shaving out the pocket that catches the hydraulic switch might help. But not much. Like 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch w/ a dremel. Maybe do one swipe w/ the dremel at a time until it catches where you want it to. I’m no expert and this is just a visualized guess. It it might be worth a shot. Let me know if you try and how it goes.

Last edited by RJ42; 08-30-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:31 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ42
I just bought the shorty trigger levers & before I installed the clutch lever I noticed the pocket where the hydraulic switch sits, was a bit bigger then the stock levers was. After examining the stock lever it looks like there’s an extra layer inside the existing pocket. Tried to pull it out and a tiny piece chipped off. So I left it.

I worried that the clutch wouldn’t fully engage or release with the new levers cause when I let off the clutch it didn’t spring all the way back to start position. So far it seems to work pretty well though. Took a minute to get use to the friction zone being so close to the grip again. But it’s actually right where I want it. Now when I pull clutch lever in it engages close to the grip & I don’t have to reach all the way out to grab it lever.

Point of this is, maybe shaving out the pocket that catches the hydraulic switch might help. But not much. Like 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch w/ a dremel. Maybe do one swipe w/ the dremel at a time until it catches where you want it to. I’m no expert and this is just a visualized guess. It it might be worth a shot. Let me know if you try and how it goes.
I know you’re just trying to help by sharing your experience, but you’re responding to an 11+ year old post and that member hasn’t been here in over 5 years. 😬

Old 08-30-2022, 05:41 PM
RJ42
Stage IV

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I know you’re just trying to help by sharing your experience, but you’re responding to an 11+ year old post and that member hasn’t been here in over 5 years. 😬
And yet I came across it in search of a solution. Maybe someone else will as well. Productive reply’s are better then critical ones. Just saying. No worries though. Have a nice day.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:58 PM
johndoe297
Road Master
Received 765 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ42
And yet I came across it in search of a solution. Maybe someone else will as well. Productive reply’s are better then critical ones. Just saying. No worries though. Have a nice day.
Galv wasn't being critical. No need to get your feelings hurt.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:00 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

NM

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 08-30-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:45 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member