Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Fatboy to Ultra Classic (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/627332-fatboy-to-ultra-classic.html)

dankFLSTF 04-02-2011 09:24 AM

Fatboy to Ultra Classic

Thinking of selling the 09 Fatboy and getting an Ultra Classic and would like to know from others that have done the same what difference if any there is in the handling between the two. I really like the way my Fatboy handles in the curves and around town but I know the wife would like the comfort of the Ultra Classic for longer trips. The dealer I was talking to said that after a "getting used to period" that the Ultra Classic with the new frame would be a much better ride all the way around.

stro1965 04-02-2011 09:34 AM

I went from a Fatboy to an Ultra back in '07. I missed the Fatboy...for about 5 minutes. If you like the way your Fatboy handles you're gonna LOVE the way an Ultra handles.

bdp 04-02-2011 10:10 AM

Made the swap, fatboy to Ultra in 08, never looked back.

Richard Cyrus 04-02-2011 11:29 AM

I just traded up from a 09 Fat boy to 2011 Ultra Classic Firefighter Editon in January. I wouldnt look back. It handles and rides so much better than the Fat Boy. It far out handles in the curves better than the Fat Boy. My wife agrees, much better ride than the Fat Boy for her.

103 sedona orange 04-02-2011 11:50 AM

Please give your Wife a brake. That ain't no way to treat a Lady. She must really love you to ride on the back of a "Softail" Need I say more!!!

vonzoog 04-02-2011 11:54 AM

Traded an '09 FatBoy for a 2010 SG last summer. Before I had ever heard a thing about the newer tourer's frames handling better, I made a statement to the sales people after a test ride that the SG seem to handle better better than the FatBoy. Even though it weight more than a hundred pounds more.

Now having ridden the SG over 6k miles there is no doubt the SG not only rides better, it diffidently handles better. Plus your wife/girlfriend will love it 10 times better. Don't get me wrong, the FatBoy was an enjoyable bike and I liked it for what it was. Different kind of bike. But ride and handling, the Tourers have it over the Softails.

ChristoHD 04-02-2011 11:55 AM

You won't regret it one bit...

shortride 04-02-2011 12:10 PM

Make the wife happy and you you'll be happy.

Art08fatboy 04-02-2011 12:38 PM

I went from a 08 Fatboy to a 2010 Ultra. Like the new bike, and the way it handles. The only thing I don't like, is when my old lady is on the back, and my leg gets tangled up with the passenger footpeg. Almost dropped it twice. Only have eleven hundred miles on it, so hopefully I will get used to that. Otherwise, no regrets. Good luck.

dankFLSTF 04-02-2011 01:13 PM

Looks like a few more test rides are in order and a visit with a few sales people. Living in Nebraska makes it a little harder to find an area to test out the curves.