Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearly Dry Tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nearly Dry Tranny???

I bought my 2006 FLHX a few months ago from a friend who seems to be meticulous about his maintenance. But since it just turned 15,000 miles I decided to change all three fluids along with several other maintenance items.

Much to my surprise and disappointment, the tranny was so low it wouldn't even register on the dipstick. When I drained it, I don't think I got more than six ounces out of it (shop manual says add 20-24 ounces when filling it).

I didn't see any obvious signs of damage (i.e., shavings,etc.) on the magnetic drain plug... just some residue similar to what was on the drain plug for the primary.

My question is, do you think any damage was done by the trans being run so low? Hopefully there was at least enough oil in there to keep the gears "wet."

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The oil would splash around in there pretty good , if it were mine I would fill it maybe change it again in a few hundred miles just I case to get any crap out the just ride it and listen

Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

If after you filled it and it's not making a bunch of noise,probly ok.
Maybe your freind will warranty it for you!LOL.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

interesting. just checked mine today and it was on the low side of the indicator. It was serviced just 500 miles ago but I never checked it to see if they added the proper volume. I added about 4 oz to it and it is now where it should be. I would go ahead and change/add the proper amount and check when you are done. recheck in a month and see where it measures. I would guess the proper volume was not added - especially if he did the primary too - since the odd amounts of each don't add to full quarts - cut one or both a little short to not have to have a partial quart sitting unused.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask the guy you bought it from....WTF !. Filler back up and drive it, I don't think anything was affected much at all. Manys years ago I experienced that with an AMF 4 speed, filled,er up and then put another 30 thousand on it with no problems. Hell ! one time early spring on a different bike I was in a hurry to do a 4000 mile trip throught the smoky mountains and around, did alot of engine breaking. Got back and found my primary almost dry, no chain stretch, loosemess or tensioner wear. I'm sure other people will disagree with me. I usually do regular maintence on mine, But if $hit happens Harleys are pretty damn tuff !

Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

How much came out of the primary and could you tell if the two were mixed? Just wondering if there isn't an issue with the tranny fluid draining into the primary??

Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by meachamgw
interesting. just checked mine today and it was on the low side of the indicator. It was serviced just 500 miles ago but I never checked it to see if they added the proper volume. I added about 4 oz to it and it is now where it should be. I would go ahead and change/add the proper amount and check when you are done. recheck in a month and see where it measures. I would guess the proper volume was not added - especially if he did the primary too - since the odd amounts of each don't add to full quarts - cut one or both a little short to not have to have a partial quart sitting unused.
You have a 6 speed, HD just came out today with a service bulletin on new check and fill procedures for the 6 speeds.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
How much came out of the primary and could you tell if the two were mixed? Just wondering if there isn't an issue with the tranny fluid draining into the primary??
I didn't realize that was possible. Didn't think to measure what came out of the primary, but it looked about right.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RPS1981
I didn't realize that was possible. Didn't think to measure what came out of the primary, but it looked about right.
Possible if you have a bad seal

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dawg
You have a 6 speed, HD just came out today with a service bulletin on new check and fill procedures for the 6 speeds.

I'll do some look'n for that. was not aware. let me know what it is if you have it. thanks for the heads up. ride safe.

Last edited by RoadGlideGary; 04-05-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Nearly Dry Tranny???