Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QD Tour pak rack attach to Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Hondo65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QD Tour pak rack attach to Tour Pak

OK I really need to see a pic of how the QD Rack attaches to the Tour Pak. I have a 99 EG. I have all the docking hardware...I bought a used King Tour pak and ordered the qd rack. They ordered the solo instead of the 2 up so I have to return that and wait for the 2 up...BUT when I was checking it out the bolt holes in the rack are spaced wider than the holes in the TP... The original holes in the TP are inside the structural ridges. If the 2 up rack has the same spacing as the solo....don't see why it wouldn't then I would have to drill new holes in the TP right through the ridges...just doesn't seem right.

So if anyone has pics available of the bottom of their TP and QD rack I would surely appreciate it.

Hondo

Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe they ordered you the one for the newer/wider rear setup

Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Hondo65
Advanced

According to the part number 53260-02 it is for '97-'08. It is wrong as I wanted a 2 up not a solo but it is the right year

Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year is the tourpak? As the tourpaks changed as well

Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you go to post #8 by CigarCritic, you'll see a picture showing the two different hole patterns; one is for '97-'08 tour paks and the other is for '09 and newer tour paks:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...reetglide.html

You would use the holes shown by the blue arrows; there are two sets to allow the tour pak to be moved fore/aft for mounting.

The U-tube and rack for the detach kit should match the holes in the tour pak; if they don't you'll need to drill them which is not a big deal--use the U-tube or rack as a template.

'06 and newer King Tour Paks have a virtually flat bottom; the nuts mounting the metal plate in the bottom of the tour pak to the tour pak are recesssed. Pre-'06 King TP's and chopped TP's continue to have a heavily molded bottom with the nuts visible. Here's a picture of the '06 and newer style King TP showing the relatively flat bottom and U-tube:

http://

Post a picture of what you have.

Carl

PS: Try the search function for more pictures using chopped tour pak or something like it for the search term since the chopped TP still use the molded bottom with ridges. I'm using the Milwaukee Bagger two-up detachable tour pak rack; the U-tube is the same that you would use as are the hole patterns.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Hondo65
Advanced

Thanks guys. I went back to the dealer and got lucky on one hand, they had a 2 up rack in stock so they switched me out and refunded me the difference in the cost. I also talked to the owner and in checking it out my Tour Pak is an older one. So no way to avoid it I had to drill some new holes. Not a huge deal. I got it done and it came out fine. When I bought my bike they made me a great deal on the TP, it was in great shape, they ordered me a lock to match my bike keys. The only two glitches were the wiring harness had been chopped short but I can fix that,having to drill some new holes (will have to get some silicone to fill the old ones) and the pinstriping is orange instead of my red/gold on the bike.

Thanks again guys

Hondo