Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07's with security problems???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 07:29 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 07's with security problems???

something I just found out about the 07's with security,,, I ran into this guy on a ride with a new heritage,, we chatted for a bit, he then asks me if my dealer threw in a battery tender... I'm like what?why?..... his dealer gives one with every 07, with security,,,because of the light in the dash flashing while bike isn't being ridden,,,, something about battery/chargin problems,,,,1st I heard of this, how bout all you?

Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts
Default RE: 07's with security problems???

First time I've heard that. If he's just talking the security LED flashing, that thing could flash for 20 years before ever draining a 12V battery.
On a related note, I had the Pink Floyd case thing that had a LED in it. Had a Triple A battery. The thing flashed every two seconds for 7 years. I couldn't believe it!! Kinda neat. Ok back to motorcycles...

lp

Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have one but not for that purpose. a battery tender insures that you have a full charge all the time and can lenghten your battery life. the blinking light can do so for a month without killing the battery assuming the battery is in top shape. but most people think cold weather kills batteries and use tenders in the winter. the opposite is true. hot weather kills batteries and cold weather finds it out because you need a good battery to turn over the engine in the winter. most photographers refrigerate their photo batteries to keep fresh. they wouldnt if cold was bad for them. get the tender . it will pay for itselg the first time it causes your battery to last an extra year.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant see that little l.e.d. light drawing much power . Bike has not sat for more than a few days without starting . Will see over the winter . As for charging problems I have not had any problems or heard of any others . Left radio on last weekend for about 4 hours and had no effect on starting.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

I know about batteries, the drain, cold, hot,tenders,,etc,,,,,,, what Im wondering is why would a dearler throw them in on a 07 purchase?
It wasnt cause they were being generous,, was something to do about security system, and I'm hopin someone knows

Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
GreighWolf
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MACK

i have one but not for that purpose. a battery tender insures that you have a full charge all the time and can lenghten your battery life. the blinking light can do so for a month without killing the battery assuming the battery is in top shape. but most people think cold weather kills batteries and use tenders in the winter. the opposite is true. hot weather kills batteries and cold weather finds it out because you need a good battery to turn over the engine in the winter. most photographers refrigerate their photo batteries to keep fresh. they wouldnt if cold was bad for them. get the tender . it will pay for itselg the first time it causes your battery to last an extra year.
Mack is correct; the cold temps slow down the chemical reaction that produces the "power". It prolongs battery life by reducing the reaction. The batteries have to be brought back to room temp to provide the correct power; a cold battery will not have the proper amount of chemical reactivity to produce the required current.

On the note of dealerships and battery tenders, my dealer gives the tenders away with new bike purchases because not everyone has the ability to ride daily. And just like the battery for a car or truck, if left to sit long enough, the battery will lose its charge. There is no way that little led will draw enough current to pull down a 12V battery.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
GreighWolf
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

I know about batteries, the drain, cold, hot,tenders,,etc,,,,,,, what Im wondering is why would a dearler throw them in on a 07 purchase?
It wasnt cause they were being generous,, was something to do about security system, and I'm hopin someone knows
My dealer has been giving battery tenders away since they opened the place as a "thank you" gift... not related to the '07 models.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

battery tender is for charging battery over the winter so the security system doesnt kill the battery, it will kill battery if left for months without starting

Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 PM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sitting one week or less has not caused any problems...I am interested in what others discover. I am not sure if I like the new security system or not. The button was not a problem.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

maybe I didnt get a tender when I bought my 07 cause the dealer sold it to me WAYYYYY below msrp?!!

Quick Reply: 07's with security problems???