Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, bike wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help, bike wont start.

I have tried searching through the thread but cant seem to find any related thread on my problem.

On my 05 Electra it doesn't always start. It doesn't always happen but has been happening more and more ofter.

I turn on the ignition and then the start/kill switch and hear the fuel pump run. When I push the start button I can hear what sounds like the starter engaging but it doesn't turn. When I release the start button I can head the shaft of the started retract and make a thump (I think the thump is normal, just don't usually hear it cause the engine should be running at this point).

This could happen whether its been sitting all weekend or when I turn it off for 3 minutes to fill up with gas.

I leave a battery tender hooked up as we have a lot of electronic equipment on this bike such as lights and radios. This bike has about 60k miles on it. The mechanic doesn't seem to know whats wrong with it.

I have tried everything I can think of like connections and such. The battery is showing a good charge on the meter.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it "clicks" but the starter doesn't spin it's the starter. If the starter spins but the motor doesn't turn over it's the starter clutch.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
If it "clicks" but the starter doesn't spin it's the starter. If the starter spins but the motor doesn't turn over it's the starter clutch.
I think I know the sound your talking about and I wouldnt say it clicks. It sounds more like its extending a shaft in the started when I press the start button and when I release the start button the shaft releases.

I just created a video for this. Hope this helps. Youll have to listen close for the sound it make when I press the button....didnt catch it real well on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlQb0axGRo

Thanks again for any help.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you are getting full battery voltage when closing the start switch, it could be the contact area of your solenoid is corroded, the solenoid is closing, which makes contact between your 'B' or battery terminal and 'C' or starter terminal but the contact is poor. You might get away with cleaning the contact area or install a solenoid repair kit.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Measure the voltage at the starter when you hit the start button. There was a thread earlier about an '03 UC shutting off/not starting. The problem was that the battery lug was crimped over the cable insulation, not bare wire. Had to cut off the shrink tubing to do a visual inspection, but by measuring the voltage on the starter lug you ought to be able to pin point the problem.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1CdnHD is correct, but you could just have a weak battery. One quick test would be to jump a known good voltage source to your starter. If it spins start lookin' back towards your battery, or jump another battery parallel with yours. If it starts, replace your battery. The trick is to define the problem. Right now it sounds like your solenoid operates but doesn't turn the starter. Either your starter is toast, or you aren't providing enough power through the solenoid. Assuming a good starter I would suspect the battery, but I just fixed a similar problem on my '86 FXR. I had to replace the solenoid, all the circuit breakers, & a battery cable.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Silverearl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is one thing that you have over looked. Check the ground at the starter. Some think that the chassis ground is enough but it is not. Ask me how I know. It doesn't take much of a turn of the nut but it will make a huge difference. I had to replace my battery because of all the jerking on the cables and applying jumpers. Until one day I happen to be looking at the back of the starter and seen a huge flash of light (ark). It only took about 1/4 of a turn and it was tight and i have not had any problems since.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tend to go with Jinks. I assume it is the original battery and if that assumption is correct you are at about the right time for it to go south.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Try rocking the bike back in forth in gear to make sure that nothing is catching in place or holding the starter solenoid in place. Again check the voltage on the battery, not sure if there is a stater involved before the starter or not. I have had several metric bikes with bad stater and had similar problems, unfortunately never a problem so far with the road king.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone: