Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Harley Heated Grips-Ignition Wire Question

Old 01-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole914
Please excuse my ignorance but, are the heated grips on "all the time"? Seems to be the case if they are connected to the ignition.
There is a switch on the end of the left grip to turn them on and off and to adjust how hot, I think there are 6 settings.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:51 PM
81 Low Rider
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/W wire from hell!

According to the instruction, (160B) B+ connector is the red wire which is going to be used with the hot side of the circuit (3). I have the connector for that wire so that one seems to taken. That o/w wire (accessory power) is the one that has problematic instructions both with the service manual and the instructions that come with the grips.

The fuse block has no wires or bus bar in position 2F and 2E that I can detect to make a complete circuit for that o/w wire. I just see open space and black plastic in there. I suppose I could be **** and by anther pin and 2A fuse and run a jumper wire from position from 2D to 2F and then use the wire per the instructions, but I am really leaning hard on just soldering that wire to that open terminal 2C, and run a 2A in line fuse on the wire coming out and be done with it.

81 Low Rider

Old 01-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Pothole914
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,682 Likes on 1,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
There is a switch on the end of the left grip to turn them on and off and to adjust how hot, I think there are 6 settings.
Thanks Vernal, that makes sense.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Vernal
Club Member

I looked up the instructions and I believe this is where they want you to be in the fuse box
C4 - D4 with power coming from C4

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04259.pdf

Old 01-20-2016, 06:39 AM
81 Low Rider
3rd Gear

Hi,

Thank you for the info, it is helpful.

I agree C4 are where the instructions tell you to get the power fused by D4. I am just not seeing any thing in those holes, there is nothing to complete a circuit. I would have to buy another pin and run a jumper from D2 to D4. I read other posts stating there should already be a wire in that position D4 or a bus bar that connects the two, but I am not seeing anything but plastic. That is why I am thinking of soldering onto position 2C.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM
Vernal
Club Member

I get what your saying.
If you look at the schematic the fuse block gets power for the circuits on A, C, E and F. I thought I saw a piece of metal in the bottom of 4C and was hoping it was a bus bar then your wire would have gone in 4D.
Good Luck

Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 AM
81 Low Rider
3rd Gear
Default O/W wire to fuse box

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Both of those position are empty in my fuse box. The instructions are problematic in the reference for the O/W wire in as much that it does not match up to the supplied HD instructions on where to properly attach it with the corresponding product or model year.

To have some 3rd party guy sell videos on you-tube, on how to hook up HD heated grips should be somewhat of a wake up call to the engineering department manager who is in charge of these instruction manuals.

You would think that HD would at least put in some kind of up date on the web site or some kind of workaround instructions in the supplied instruction manual or a HD reference web site in order to maintain some kind of consistency for future troubleshooting. Its going to be hooked up all over the place depending on where people can find that wire and if they want to splice into the harness, or tie off of the one in the head lamp assy.

I am just going to label the O/W (HEATED GRIPS) with some tape, and install an inline 2 amp fuse after I solder it in to the position referenced above. There is no point in even trying to jump to the location called out because, the service manual (I have), and the fuse box both call out for a 15 amp fuse for that location.

After I get it soldered in, I will advise how it goes in case anyone else wants to go this way. I am going to tear into it this weekend.

I agree with most on this post and what I have read in other areas, these instructions should be updated by HD, there are not a true representation of what HD is all about. I am somewhat amazed it has not been address by the engineering department by now.

Take care and stay safe.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by 81 Low Rider
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Both of those position are empty in my fuse box. The instructions are problematic

Take care and stay safe.
Agreed

Even the schematic they have in the instructions is too basic. They show both the B+ and O/W wire going to the same place on the grip and that can't happen. The O/W some how controls B+ or the grips could stay on after the bike is turned off.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll work it out. 30 degrees and snowing here. Another month and a half and we may be riding again.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:06 PM
81 Low Rider
3rd Gear

Just a follow up from the O/W wire instruction issue. I soldered in the O/W wire at the fuse box and hooked up an inline 2A fuse to the grip harness. And wha-la! Hot, toasty, smoking GRIPS! #6 is too hot to hold on too. Now it's in the 70's down here in TX in February, go figure.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

For future reference, you can put a small relay in the fairing/nacelle that gets power run up from a fuse at the battery and is triggered by the headlight o/w and black wires. Now you have plenty of power up front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Harley Heated Grips-Ignition Wire Question