Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Stage 1 air cleaner and cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 09:18 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts
Default Question about Stage 1 air cleaner and cams

I'm having cams put in my bike and it occurred to me that I have the Arlen Ness Stage 1 big sucker . Before I go ahead and start modifying it for an external breather system , will it be good enough to run with my cams ? Arlen Ness does offer a Stage 2 intake , which is why I ask .

Old 10-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

It should be fine , im assuming by your previous posts your going with a torque cam and should have no problems . High RPM is where you run out of air

Dave

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 09:45 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Dave , yes , going with the TW 222 Woods . Hopefully getting the bike back tomorrow , unless they find any issues , been trying to track down a vibration that seems to be keeping itself hidden very well . They're testing the run out while they're in there at the same time , I'm hoping for good news , then I can move onto other things .

Once the bike is back I'll remove the intake and start modifying , just have to decide on a oil canister / filter and where I'm going to mount it .

Old 10-15-2020, 04:31 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

I think you'll be fine with a Ness air filter setup, I have an Inverted Sucker and was able to retain it for my 107 build that was completed over the summer. I live 4-5 miles away from Ness HQ so I like supporting the home team!

MyFavRk (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 06:09 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Appreciate the response , that makes me feel confident enough to go ahead and start modifying it .

How are you liking the new build ? Betcha it's a new bike , doing the break in period must be hard before you can really test out that performance .

I'm going to finish off the stage 2 over the winter , then take it back in for a tts tuner and have it dyno'd . I'm looking forward to the extra power I'll get , wife and I are planning a trip through the mountains , so that extra giddy up will be be useful .

Big Dave (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 10:14 PM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Appreciate the response , that makes me feel confident enough to go ahead and start modifying it .
How are you liking the new build ? Betcha it's a new bike, doing the break in period must be hard before you can really test out that performance
I love what the bike has become, it's been home about 5 weeks, but due to work, wildfire smoke, ultra hot weather, I've only ridden about 300 miles. FM does a heat cycled break-in procedure on the dyno and said my bike is ready to ride as I wish. Given how much power I picked up, I'm not finding myself using all the throttle. I've run it up a few times and have not bumped into the limiter...a tach would be very useful during this time. But it rips, the midrange is awesome.

Looking forward to some fall riding as soon as the weather breaks, it's mid 90s still here in NorCal.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Nice to hear FM broke it in for you . Wish I had that weather hear now . We just took a drop in temp big time , mid 30's for high's . It's going to be a cold ride home when the bike is done , but I plan on riding for a little while yet , heated gear helps . I'm just not ready to put it away for the winter , summer sure did blow by to fast . I'll spend most of the winter in the shop finishing the stage 2 on it . Got me a new set of bars to put on it as well .

It would be nice if the King's had a tach , thought about putting one on , just to know where it's at . One thing at a time .

I'm looking forward to seeing your bike complete , hardbags and all , nice color . Enjoy that extra power , ride safe !

seanl (10-15-2020)