Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Has A Tallboy Seat With Rider Backrest

Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Has A Tallboy Seat With Rider Backrest

Who has the seat with the backrest. If so how did you mount your bracket under the seat. Seems the only way to do it is to spin it around. It doesn't want to go back far enough to line up with the seat hole. Any thoughts?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Cruiser

I mounted the fixed bracket in the furthest back position two days ago. My Sundowner and SG seats would not go down over it. They hit the plastic to the rear of the hole in the seat. I pulled back the leather, and vinyl on the other one, and used an air grinder to removed some of the plastic. Then I reattached the material to the plastic with a staple gun. I don't think this minor mod compromised the seat structure. I don't have any pics, but I hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Teagan
Tourer

I've got the Tallboy seat and the non-adjustable rider back rest, but I haven't used the back rest yet. It dosen't seem like it's going to be comfortable.......It either need to be mounted back a couple more inches or tilted back further.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the combo asked about and had only a slight problem installing it. The bracket which attaches to the fender had to be spread a bit to go over the fender bolts. Other than that it installed as directed and I have plenty of room with it.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Originally Posted by teedubya
I have the combo asked about and had only a slight problem installing it. The bracket which attaches to the fender had to be spread a bit to go over the fender bolts. Other than that it installed as directed and I have plenty of room with it.

Thats weird. If I put mine on and put the seat on top I can't hardly get the backrest to go it because the hole isn't matched up very well with the bracket. I spun the bracket and everything is good but obviously thats not the way the bracket should go. Who knows I guess. I guess I will have to do some cutting and welding.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I've heard some guys tilt it back more by placing flat washers under the front bolt holes.

The following users liked this post:
TKDKurt (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 02:48 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
I've heard some guys tilt it back more by placing flat washers under the front bolt holes.
This is an old and very dead thread, but I have to respond, even though I don't know if this poster is still on the forum. I have been putting up with my rider backrest on my Tallboy seat pushing me forward for 5 years and finally decided to do something about it. I found this old thread and this morning tried this trick of putting washers under the front connection point to tilt the bracket back a little. THIS DID THE TRICK!! When the slight change in the bracket angle is amplified by the rods and pad, the pad is now in exactly the right place. I am very pleased!!

treece883 (03-29-2021)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
This is an old and very dead thread, but I have to respond, even though I don't know if this poster is still on the forum. I have been putting up with my rider backrest on my Tallboy seat pushing me forward for 5 years and finally decided to do something about it. I found this old thread and this morning tried this trick of putting washers under the front connection point to tilt the bracket back a little. THIS DID THE TRICK!! When the slight change in the bracket angle is amplified by the rods and pad, the pad is now in exactly the right place. I am very pleased!!
I need to switch to the Tallboy seat for sure, and then hope that I can do this little trick to essentially move the backrest back as well. I have the Tallboy on my Heritage and it puts me in a perfect position. On my Street Glide I have the Sundowner and the backrest pad but I feel like I'm sitting on the tank and the backrest needs to be back further so i can lean back. I have made all adjustments to position the backrest as far back as possible. Since the tallboy move you back 2 inches, you'd think you could also position the backrest back another 2 inches.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I just put my back rest supports in my vise and bent them a few degrees.

treece883 (03-29-2021)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:37 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

I put a Tallboy seat on a lightly used 2016 RGU I bought a year and a half ago. Stock seat made me feel like my nuts were riding on the tank, made it difficult to shift also and I'm only 5' 11". The Tallboy seat did move me back some so that really helped, and I lowered both shift levers as well. All was good, but I wanted a backrest. Will not pay the HD prices for their backrests and mounts. About a month ago I ordered, received and put on a non-adjustable backrest from Grasshopper LTD. They sell the back rest for a Touring bike for $85 and that includes the friggin' mount which is a totally different design than the HD mount. So, they charge $85 and then I think their shipping is like $10 or $11 bucks. But...., I bought the Grasshopper back rest with mount from Amazon, $75 plus I think $11 or $12 bucks shipping. And the MAIN reason I bought it from Amazon was in case I didn't like it Amazon won't hassle me if I wanted to return it.

I am extremely pleased with the Grasshopper back rest and it feels so good the only reason I would ever take it off is if I was going to have a passenger they might need the extra room provided without the back rest on the bike.

Here is a link to Grasshopper LTD: http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/ha...ouring-models/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who Has A Tallboy Seat With Rider Backrest