Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help changing my rear brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 AM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some help changing my rear brakes.

I have a 2011 FLHR. I am changing the brakes myself. I got the Caliper off & was wondering how do I get the pads out. I know there is a bolt that goes through the pads. I took the spring clip off & tried to take the bolt out. It will not. I did notice that it looks like the Caliper is a two piece. Should I take the Caliper apart to get the bolt out or what? Please give me instructions on how to do this. I don't see paying the stealer $200.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:23 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the hex head where u removed the clip u have to get that off its a metric allen. when u get that off the pads slide right out the hard part is braking that allen cuz of the thread locker harley uses.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:24 AM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

spend 35 bucks for the manual. best thing you can do to wrench on your own ride. On my bike ( 05 ) roadking there are 2 ,1/4'' 16 point bolts that hold my pads in place. can you post a pic ?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

The pad pin has to come even if you have to bolt the caliper back on the mount so it is solid. The pad pin is metric be sure you have an allen that fits so you don't round it. OOps roadgliderick beat me to it, must have been typing at the same time.

Last edited by DPete; 05-08-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 AM
jrobinson424
Cruiser

I could not get the pin out for crap. Wound up taking the Caliper apart. Will I need to bleed the brakes now? Just a little drop of fluid came out.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jrobinson424
I could not get the pin out for crap. Wound up taking the Caliper apart. Will I need to bleed the brakes now? Just a little drop of fluid came out.
If the brake feels spongy,yes.

Dont know for sure but maybe an ABS code could pop up if air was present if you have ABS?

Old 05-08-2011, 01:25 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer

Why would you risk your life by screwing up your brakes if you don't have a manual or don't know what you are doing? Either pay the money to have it done or buy the manual. What is your life worth?

Old 05-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

You really need to get yourself a manual. Even with it requires some previous skill levels on brakes. The first attachment is one of the two screws you remove to get the pad out on an 04. (1/4 12 point box wrench) Do not remove the larger bolts. This would require a caliper rebuild if done. You really do not need to pull caliper. I do since I remove the pads and push the pistons out just slightly further (do not push all the way out) and shoe shine them with a cloth and then push them all the way in. Then I push on the brake an make sure they all come out the same apx 1/8 inch. Then push them back in and load the caliper and reinstall it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I won't tell you to get a manual...I think you heard that enough. I also will not chastise you for coming on a HD forum to ask a question on how to do something to your HD touring bike (I don't get it why some are like that).

I see it's too late to tell you that the pad pin comes out...but, once you start to unscrew it gets to a point where it feels like it won't come out. Just keep unscrewing it...it gets a little harder but it does come out.

About bleeding the brakes...it won't hurt, but like mentioned, see if it's sloppy still after pumping a few times. Good Luck.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:47 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brypink
I won't tell you to get a manual...I think you heard that enough. I also will not chastise you for coming on a HD forum to ask a question on how to do something to your HD touring bike (I don't get it why some are like that).

I see it's too late to tell you that the pad pin comes out...but, once you start to unscrew it gets to a point where it feels like it won't come out. Just keep unscrewing it...it gets a little harder but it does come out.

About bleeding the brakes...it won't hurt, but like mentioned, see if it's sloppy still after pumping a few times. Good Luck.

Also, for future reference if you don't want to mess with it again have them changed when you change your tire. They will not (or should not) charge you full price to replace the pads. At least my dealer doesn't. Of course, that's assuming you don't change your own tire too. I do alot, but there are some things I just don't want to do, and changing the tire is one of them.

Quick Reply: I need some help changing my rear brakes.