Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander and Coughs and Sputters

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Ricochet1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Commander and Coughs and Sputters

I have a 2008 Road King Classic with Rinehart true-duals and HD Stage-1 air cleaner. I am also using a Power Commander III USB. I am using the Power Commander Map M818-019 for Rinehart true-dual and screaming eagle Air Cleaner. It also has the stock ECM. The problem is that after running hard on winding roads at high RPMs or running straight for long runs on the highway in 6th gear the engine will cough, sputter and die when I get into town and slow down. Sometimes this happens at the least opportune times that are dangerous or at stop lights.

Has anybody had this problem and if so, did you find a solution?

Last edited by Ricochet1; 05-13-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have never had that problem but i would call jaime at fuel moto or find another map. it may be just your map i have a thunder max cuz i did have 2 power commanders that gave me problems. not saying the power commandrs are bad but iam not the only one who has had problems with the commander.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one and haven't had any problems (knock on wood) but take a look at the connectors for signs of moisture. I used the connector "goo" when I put mine together.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by upstate tim
I have one and haven't had any problems (knock on wood) but take a look at the connectors for signs of moisture. I used the connector "goo" when I put mine together.

I was going to use dialectric grease on my connectors also, but was told absolutely do not use on the Power Commander ECU connectors. Dry only, so I put it together dry?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain

The Dynojet people say to use it per their website

Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
jstdadd
Intermediate

When you set up the Power Commander, you need to "Zero the Throttle" which is available under one of the menus. Look up the procedure in the help.

If you don't do this, the Power Commander has a 'default' throttle position setting, which on my bike was far, far off. Shops almost never go through this procedure, they just load the map, plug it in and take your money.

Trust me, this is so simple and made a huge difference in how my 2006 Softail ran (88B, Thunderheader, MoFlow intake).

Old 05-13-2011, 12:52 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I was going to use dialectric grease on my connectors also, but was told absolutely do not use on the Power Commander ECU connectors. Dry only, so I put it together dry?
I looked at the instruction sheet that came with mine and there is no mention of dielectric grease.
There wasnt even any present from the factory on the ECM connector.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:23 PM
hardhead
Tourer

I had a 07 FLSTC with a similar setup that would do the same thing intermittantly. I took off the PC and all was well for a while. Then it died it without the PC. I put PC back on and of course it ran better but was still sputtering at times atstops after long stretches of highway. I read of a guy having similar issues and the tech in the article suggesting doing a test on the VSS and the speedo. I never checked on it b/c i recently traded it for a Street Glide.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jstdadd
When you set up the Power Commander, you need to "Zero the Throttle" which is available under one of the menus. Look up the procedure in the help.

If you don't do this, the Power Commander has a 'default' throttle position setting, which on my bike was far, far off. Shops almost never go through this procedure, they just load the map, plug it in and take your money.

Trust me, this is so simple and made a huge difference in how my 2006 Softail ran (88B, Thunderheader, MoFlow intake).

Man, there must be one hundred different sets of instructions out there then? Mine does not call for or mention zeroing the throttle, and mine does not want you to use dialectric grease? Where did you see the procedure for zeroing the throttle? And That is suppose to be necessary for it to run right?

Last edited by Rickr01; 05-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain

On this instruction sheet they mention using the grease several times.

http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...eng807-511.pdf

The HD connectors maybe water resistant quality but the PC connectors aren't.

Quick Reply: Power Commander and Coughs and Sputters