Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Ultra vs Electra Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
MikeK02048
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Glide Ultra vs Electra Glide Ultra

I'm trying to decide hey both are really comfortable, but it does seem like the Road Glide has a more relaxed fit for me as it seems the rider's seat on the Electra Glide moves the rider a bit closer to the bars.

I'm wondering how the two different fairing configurations affects the ride. The shark nose fairing on the Road Glide is frame mounted and the batwing fairing on the Electra Glide is fork mounted. What are your opinions on this? Does the fork mounted fairing get affected by the wind and affect steering?

Any other opinions of the differences between these bikes? How about your opinions on the looks of these different fairings?

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Rent them for a long weekend to be sure you get the bike thats right for you. Some dealers will credit the rental price if you buy a bike from them. It can't hurt to ask!
The RGU was the bike for me. The bat wing fairing makes me feel claustrophobic!
I also think the frame mounted fairing gives the RGU lighter steering.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all about whatever "You" are comfortable on

I am a 300 pound man and on the Ultra I felt cramped. The RGU feels more open.

Last edited by usmc3468; 05-13-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:24 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want the Ultra Fugly, and I know it, but the Ultra Fugly is too new to be in my price range. That made it clear to me that the Ultra Classic was the bike for me.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PF is right, and see where he likes the RG because the EG makes him feel closed in, I don't like the RG because I dislike the huge dash. All of the differences between the two will boil down to you, so buy the one you think looks and fits you best. Because in the long run even the minor driving differences between the fairing mounts and other little nuances should not change your decision, simply because they will be overcome in a short period after purchasing the bike.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:51 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK02048
How about your opinions on the looks of these different fairings? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK02048
I'm wondering how the two different fairing configurations affects the ride.

Thanks!
Is that the can opener running again?
Are you opening that can of worms again?

Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, I just traded my Road Glide on an Ultra Classic and really like them both. The Road Glide seems to handle a bit lighter because of the frame mounted fairing, but the fork mounted fairing of the Ultra Classic feels solid, "confident", and does not seem to get battered around by turbulent air on the expressway like I thought it would.

The Road Glide certainly seems more roomy from the cockpit than the Ultra Classic. Part of that is the seat, which seems to sacrifice a bit of rider space in favor of a larger passenger area. I definitely feel like I am sitting more "on" the Ultra Classic as opposed to "in" the Road Glide if that makes any sense. It took me a while to get accustomed to the Ultra Classic's "in your face" fairing after 55k miles on the Road Glide, but now that I have had it for a week it feels very comfortable and roomy.

Both are great bikes, and it's worth sitting on each, or riding each if you can, to see which you prefer. If I had to choose one for best overall touring platform, I'd have to flip a coin because I really like them both. Either would be a great choice.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess this topic will never die.
I have had both the Shark and the Bat.
After riding a Road Glide for three years I went with the Electra Glide this time.
The Road Glide is a great bike but the little differences make the Electra Glide a better ride for me.
Try and ride them both before you buy.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Subscribing to this one. I'm hoping for some nice colors on both in 2013. That'll be time for my new one. I have the EGU now and the more I see the RGU, the more I'm leaning that way. I will rent one for a weekend sometime to see how I like the RGU.

Keep the reviews coming people

Quick Reply: Road Glide Ultra vs Electra Glide Ultra