Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is a cam install,

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Bagger_Dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How hard is a cam install,

i am mechanically able, just want to make sure I don't get into trouble. So all you guys that have put in your own cams, how about a little advice, and what special tools, if any are needed?

Thanks alot,
Dave

Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Overcamber
Road Captain

i would start with a manual and ask questions on what you dont understand? it is very clearly explained..

Old 03-31-2011, 08:37 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the service manual. special tools- inner cam bearing puller to replace the ina inner bearings with torrington i bought the bearing installer too. some one on ebay had both for sale for $105 they both worked for me and as a matter of face im done with them if you would want to buy them pm me

Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use your manual, read the forum threads like this one and take your time. I had never done anything like that before and I had no problems at all. The only special tool I used was the Gary Beatty Cam Bearing tool. It worked great for me.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

With the link above and the manual it was no probs. Gary Beatty tool is great as is the cam install kit from fuel moto.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not that tough, having said that if you have the money to have your dealer or Indie do it, pay them and go do something you enjoy doing. It's not that fun.

Mark

Old 03-31-2011, 09:30 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
It's not that tough, having said that if you have the money to have your dealer or Indie do it, pay them and go do something you enjoy doing. It's not that fun.

Mark
Gotta disagree with ya, I really enjoyed doing it and there's nothin like the feeling of satisfaction you get from doing it yourself. I also feel there's a better chance it'll get done right if ya do it yourself, no one loves your bike like you do.....

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 PM
jdaws
Advanced

Originally Posted by davewear
Gotta disagree with ya, I really enjoyed doing it and there's nothin like the feeling of satisfaction you get from doing it yourself. I also feel there's a better chance it'll get done right if ya do it yourself, no one loves your bike like you do.....

Amen brother!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
I guess it's a good thing you didn't ask the question and I didn't answer you..... :-)

But you are correct, but I seem to be one of the few fortunate ones with a great dealer and a favorite Tech, that if I have the $$ I like feeding his family. I did do the cams on my 07 and like I said, it was OK, but given a choice of going shooting or ? and doing cams? Just a minute I'll get my gun....

Mark

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 PM
rkramchuck
Advanced

for the bearings go to auto parts store rent pilot hole bearing tool and slide hammer,(got mine at orielys just had to leave a deposit so got it for free)pull one bearing put on the end of your old cam put new bearing over that tap in new bearing with old cam matching the depth of the other bearing it worked for me and didnt have to buy any special tools,every thing else is basic timing and the big decision on going with adjustable pushrods or going through the top,getting a manual is key for all the specs,theres also a thread on here with a step by step install with pics,dont be intimitaded its pretty easy to do

Quick Reply: How hard is a cam install,