Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S T-111 first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM
silverone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've owned bikes with 3, 4, 5 and 6 speeds and looked for another gear on all of them. I'm sure that if I had 6, 7 or even 8 on my 5-speed Glide I would still look for another! It doesn't mean either of us actually needs one, it is quite normal. I've been riding for almost 40 years now.

Gearing is one of the most misunderstood things in the Harley world and I wish there was an easy way to change that. On the one hand many of us look for more power and torque, yet on the other hand raising the gearing reduces the benefit. I can't get my head around that! Having installed my 107" I kept stock gearing, to get the most out of my investment.

As a bonus, our S&S engines will rev 1,000rpm higher than stock Harley engines, so are happy as can be, spinning a bit faster. I reckon the sweet spot for my 107", now that it is well and truly run in, is between 2,500 and 4,500rpm. In fact fully loaded it will roll on from around 1,500rpm in top, on a friendly gradient.

I also have the IST smart ignition. My 3 year warranty passed by without needing to use it, I am pleased to report. We have travelled in Eastern Europe in recent years, behind the old Iron Curtain, so the protection that IST provides is very welcome. Also nice to be able to charge down German autobahns, with no speed restrictions!
Thank you for the very thoughtful reply. I have a friend who owns a shop part of the reason he recommends the T34 gear is that you can go on longer between each shift he says that would allow you to pull away from your friends or an opponent if you happen to be racing. But you bring up some interesting thoughts, my current five speed with the motor I have doesn't stay in first gear very long I would love more debate on the subject. Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by silverone
Thank you for the very thoughtful reply. I have a friend who owns a shop part of the reason he recommends the T34 gear is that you can go on longer between each shift he says that would allow you to pull away from your friends or an opponent if you happen to be racing. But you bring up some interesting thoughts, my current five speed with the motor I have doesn't stay in first gear very long I would love more debate on the subject. Thanks again.
My pleasure. I don't happen to agree with your friend, but don't tell him! With our stock gearing, at 6,500rpm in top gear our bikes will theoretically run to over 140mph. Should enable us to deal with most situations! Going to a 34T will increase that to over 150mph, but in truth both those numbers are academic, as we haven't a hope of getting to either of them. Another reason I reckon stock gearing is fine.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM
silverone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
My pleasure. I don't happen to agree with your friend, but don't tell him! With our stock gearing, at 6,500rpm in top gear our bikes will theoretically run to over 140mph. Should enable us to deal with most situations! Going to a 34T will increase that to over 150mph, but in truth both those numbers are academic, as we haven't a hope of getting to either of them. Another reason I reckon stock gearing is fine.
Maybe Ill save my money, but what about the fuel economy side of this issue any thoughts on that?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Jackazz
Advanced

All good points. I value all information on these forums, but I also understand that everybody has different objectives, riding styles, and geographical locations which also dictate much of your riding style.
Fortunately where I am located I am not cursed with alpine hairpins lol, but long flat straightaways are in abundance. I also still find myself looking for another gear, but then I look at my speedo and find I'm coming up on 100mph. I thought about a 6 speed but as you mentioned I like the longer shift times. When we do go to the mountains we have never struggled up anything we have encountered, I know I am missing out on bottom end torque but I am happy with the trade offs.
Cheers

Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by silverone
Maybe Ill save my money, but what about the fuel economy side of this issue any thoughts on that?
I've owned my 1990 bike from new and originally rode it stock, then stage 1, then cam etc, as an 89" stroker, now 107". Frankly the consumption hasn't changed a great deal with any of them, except when riding down an autobahn at 90mph plus! It seems that above 80mph or so consumption takes a dive.

I don't think changing from a 32T to a 34T is likely to change things much either. My concern is more that the engine will be lugged, rather like current 6-speed bikes often are. It is easy to get into the bad habit of running the engine at slow rpms rather than getting them to spin in their proper performance range.

Even our 5-speeds are over geared! I experimented with my TC88 by changing the compensator from a 25T to a 21T. Now that really woke that bike up! It ran at 20mph per 1,000rpm in top gear and absolutely flew. As sweet as a nut at 4,500rpm in top gear and no wind or hill would stop it. That didn't affect consumption much, because the bike was getting such an easy life most of the time.

I have considered doing the same with my Glide, although using perhaps a 23T rather than going quite so radical.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:58 PM
gus58
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just doing this install now, seen lots of posts about gearing, the recipe I'm using is t111 - Bdl 2 inch bagger belt drive into a jims fat 5 gearbox, the fat five is a 4 speed ie: 4th is 1:1 with a 5th gear overdrive. Less gears in the box has allowed jims to make the gears in the fat 5 a lot wider, so stronger. The torque of this motor combined with the high revs it produces will suit the gearbox perfectly I'm thinking. Standard front pulley. My hotrod bike has an elbruto 107 with a six speed, too many gears for the power it produces and the gears are weaker, on my second box after destroying one on the track. I may do the same to it.