Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your ride burn oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does your ride burn oil ?

Bought my SG new been running HD 20/50. Check my oil before each ride, always in the same spot. Run up to 95 several times. Few days ago ran the speedo up to 112. Seem like it done that easy and had more.
Checked the oil before the next 2 rides and the level was 3 marks less than its always been. Did it burn the oil or blow it out some where that leaves no trace?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
RussianMonk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 nightster, never had it burn oil.
Until the rockerbox cover leaked.....which is fixed now (knock on wood)

So im guessing you left a trail behind you somewhere

Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes mine held real well for quite a while but now she uses some oil so I always just keep an eye on her. Not sure where it all goes I know some goes though the vent from the crank case up and into the intake as evidenced by the oil in the air cleaner. But she don't smoke from what I know and buddies tell me so if I am burning some it can't be much at a time. Be interesting to see what everyone chimes in with.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 PM
SIU 96
Tourer

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
Yes mine held real well for quite a while but now she uses some oil so I always just keep an eye on her. Not sure where it all goes I know some goes though the vent from the crank case up and into the intake as evidenced by the oil in the air cleaner. But she don't smoke from what I know and buddies tell me so if I am burning some it can't be much at a time. Be interesting to see what everyone chimes in with.
I did think to run my finger in the bottom slot of the air cleaner, no trace of oil there. But I guess it would have taken a lot of oil to get past the filter.
Correct me if I am wrong, when the vent passes oil into the breather it is also being sucked back into the combustion.

Would that change the color of the plugs or show up at the exhaust end? I wiped the end of the exhaust and there was no trace of anything.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends if your running dino or synthetic oil, along with a hot running new motor, probably just burned that little bit of oil up. Takes about 20,000 miles just to start to break in these newer motors since the EVO. You might have been a little high on your oil level too, every bike seems to differ where it wants to run it's level at. Your better off a little on the low side.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

At 47k mine uses <½ qt. between 5k changes, the same for the past 4½ years. Probably most of that gets past the breather.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
SIU 96
Tourer

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Depends if your running dino or synthetic oil, along with a hot running new motor, probably just burned that little bit of oil up. Takes about 20,000 miles just to start to break in these newer motors since the EVO. You might have been a little high on your oil level too, every bike seems to differ where it wants to run it's level at. Your better off a little on the low side.
Still running dino. Just now rolled over 2,600 miles. The day after the 1000 mile dealer check up I checked the oil and it was almost to the top of the dip stick. Took about a full quart out and that brought the level down 2 marks below the full mark. Thought that was probably still to high mostly because the last two bikes I got from Harley the oil level was half way between add and full. But after about 1200 miles the level didn't change so I figured it was ok. But then again I never took that engine to the top end before now.

And I did call the dealer and ask why they put so much oil in my bike.
Their answer, the guy that did your service is not here today.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

None of my three bikes with TC96's never use a detectable amount of oil at the 1K and 5K intervals after that..

My XR1200 and Buell XB1200 XT used 1 qt at 1K and 1/2 qt at the next 1K. Nothing after that. That seems the norm for the Sportster EVO motor.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM
navyman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 52,000 miles, I burn about 1/2 qt. per 5000 miles.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm not using any yet? I'm on my third oil change, but I run synthetic and still change at 3k. I run her on nasty dusty gravel roads, so I like to keep it changed.

Quick Reply: Does your ride burn oil ?