Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Electra Glide Speedo troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Sputter
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 Electra Glide Speedo troubles

Evening everyone:
I've exhausted the search function without finding a clear answer to my problem, so here we go:
I was on a ride last weekend and during a very slow and tight left hand turn, I placed the front wheel in a pothole and almost dropped the bike. I was able to hold it basically at the floor board until a buddy could get off his bike and help me up. After the embarrassment of dropping my bike passed and we started back out on the road I noticed my speedo stopped working as well as my auto canceling blinkers. I did some searches and everything told me it was the speed sensor. I went to the dealer bought the sensor came home got the manual out and set out to fix it. After some frustration more internet searches, etc I'm convinced I do not have a speed sensor under the starter. I did not pull the starter, but I took the battery box out and there is nothing under there. I'm wondering if maybe I could have a late 1998 engine in a 1999 frame? If so, does the 1998 have a speed sensor located somewhere else? My manual doesn't tell me anything. Any help is appreciated
Thanks again
Sputter

Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
av1025
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 was the last year of the speedometer drive/cable....look down at the (while sitting on the bike) left side or kickstand side front wheel..if you have a unit with a cable running out of it on the axle that is your speedo drive unit and speedometer cable.

Remove the fairing and unscrew the cable out of the back of the speedometer, and if possible lift the front tire off the ground and give it a spin...if the speedometer side of the cable spins you either have a bad drive unit..if not, the cable is also threaded into the drive unit, unthread it from the drive but don't pull in the inner cable out of the drive and repeat wheel spinning, if the drive unit side of the cable spins and the speedo side doesn't the cable is junk..finally remove the inner cable from the drive unit and spin it by hand, this should confirm whether the cable is bad or it's the drive unit.

Hope this helps and hasn't confused you!