Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Power duals - can't tune on FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The O2 sensors are in the exact same location as the OEM head pipe

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
The OP is 100% percent about the Power Duals. Pay close attention to the 02 sensor locations and you will notice that one of them is in the totally wrong spot. You will never get a bike to hold a tune with those headpipes. V&H doesnt care. As far as the High Output exhaust, he is also correct. Even V&H states on their own website that those mufflers are for high volume, large displacement of 110 or higher. You will never develop max low end torque because they produce very little back pressure. Personal experiance, the best thing I ever did was remove that V&H stuff and go with Fuel Moto headpipe and rush exhaust.

As far as EricFLTRU comments are concerned, how can anyone really expect to have Jamie and FuelMoto send a "custom" tune for the bike when it wasnt dynoed. Sure, he can have a canned map that will be pretty good, but calling it a custom tune is stretching it.
Not sure what you're referring to. On my 09 RKC the V&H Power Dual bungs are in the same location as stock and my tuner had no problem.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
Not sure what you're referring to. On my 09 RKC the V&H Power Dual bungs are in the same location as stock and my tuner had no problem.
09 and 10 have different locations for the sensors. The 09 down locations were fine, it is the location of the sensors on the 10 and newer that is the problem. And yes, that is with the correct pipe from V&H for the model year.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Gilder is right, they did change the location. Like I said before, get a dyno tune from a competent tuner and you'll have zero problems. Don't rely on the O2 sensors for your AFR.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default looks same to me

I just put power duels on my 2009 and the o2 sensors are in exactly the same place. the 10-11 are down by your right foot are very close together. I believe there is a wall or divider between so there isnt any cross talk of gases and the 2 sensors

Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle
I just put power duels on my 2009 and the o2 sensors are in exactly the same place. the 10-11 are down by your right foot are very close together. I believe there is a wall or divider between so there isnt any cross talk of gases and the 2 sensors
just to clarify.. my 2011 stock 02 sensors and i think also for 2010's,, yes they are next to eachother just before the CAT.. My V&H power duals which is fitted for 2010+ has 12mm bungs and the 02 sensors will not be next to eachother ( thanks TDthunder).. On the V&H i have , one 02 sensor is just before the crossover and then 2nd o2 sensor near the output of the rear cylinder... I did post and email from V&H to why they did this.. here it is again.

Our header pipes do have the 12mm O2 sensor ports, and will work with the factory O2 sensor length.

There are very important reasons why the rear cylinder O2 sensor had to be located at that position. We did very extensive research and tried all sorts of locations but that was the one that would function the best with the configuration of the ECM program. 09 and earlier O2 sensors where not "self-heat activated". They required actual heat from exhaust flow to be activated, that is why they where located so close up to the heads so they can reach that heat activation temperature as soon as possible. The new 2010 O2 sensors are "self-heat activated", where they have an internal activation device that will heat them up instantaneously for them to work in conjunction with the ECM. The main reason why Harley relocated them further down on the head pipe is because if they where located up close by the heads, condensation will build up on the O2 sensors causing them to trip trouble codes on the ECM, therefore not function correctly. That is the same reason why we did not locate them at that position as well.

Now here is the explanation why we did not locate them where Harley locates them on the stock head pipes. On the stock head pipes, there is a catalytic converter on the collector section, where there is an internal division for the exhaust flow from each head. Each O2 sensor works independently with the exhaust flow from each head. On the collector chamber of the Power Duals, there is nothing inside that divides the exhaust flow from each cylinder, so the exhaust flow from both cylinders combine. For this reason, we where not able to place the O2 sensors in or after the collector chamber, being that the combination of exhaust flow from both heads would contaminate the heating device of the O2 sensors and the ECM would activate a trouble code on the dash.

Our R&D department tried every single position possible on that head pipe to make it look as clean as possible, allowing the O2 sensors to function properly without signaling any trouble codes, or jeopardizing the performance of the motor. This is the ONLY location that allowed us to do this.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Micky J
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all, for your feedback.

some guys I know are running power duals with power commander, which removes the o2 sensors.

That would be another thread, should you cut off the o2 sensors or not.

I will find a way to refit the duals and supply feedback.

Mick

Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 AM
michael95688
Tourer

I'm not sure what your stealership is up to but they are either unwilling or unable to do what hundreds of us do every day. I'd find a real tuner.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Go agead and get the Auto Tune for the bike as well

Originally Posted by Micky J

some guys I know are running power duals with power commander, which removes the o2 sensors.

Mick
Install it when you're installing the pipes and that way the wideband O2 sensors that comes with the AT will be much easier to install. Get a map from PowerCommander that most closely resembles your setup and between the PCV and the AT you won't even need to waste the $$ on a Dyno.
Believe me this can work and you don't need to subject your bike to the brutal conditions that a dyno uses to tune.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Go ahead and get the Auto Tune for the bike as well

Originally Posted by Micky J

Mick
Install it when you're installing the pipes and that way the wideband O2 sensors that comes with the AT will be much easier to install. Get a map from PowerCommander that most closely resembles your setup and between the PCV and the AT you won't even need to waste the $$ on a Dyno.
Believe me this can work and you don't need to subject your bike to the brutal conditions that a dyno uses to tune.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM
KACook
Advanced

I've bought from FuelMoto and had No Problem with their stuff.

I'd call them and get the Power Comander they recommend for the Mods you want and be done. The My Local Harley Dealer can do the tune on that exhaust. If your can't go to FuelMoto, They Can.

Ken

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Power duals - can't tune on FLHX