Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Road King vs Road King Classic (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/647512-road-king-vs-road-king-classic.html)

deano3326 05-25-2011 10:59 PM

Road King vs Road King Classic

Hi guys. I'm just cuttung my Harley teeth. Just sold my GoldWing and I'm looking to buy a Road King. My question is...what's the difference between the RK and the RK Classic other than white wall tires and the hard leather bags vs the fiberglass bags? Can the fiberglass bags be switched out for the hard leather bags? I want a 2008 or newer for that 6th gear. Thanks.

Blue Duck 05-25-2011 11:08 PM

Classic also has spoke wheels, cruise standard. Yes the leather can be switched. On the 2011 the classic has the 103ci engine and the standard has the 96ci.

#1rocketman 05-25-2011 11:13 PM

Go with the Classic!

MikeRX 05-25-2011 11:23 PM

the newer Classics also have ABS and security.. But its the 103 that tipped the scale for me. Under the skin, both are kings.. you may want to consider the customization that you will want to do to each and see which comes out less.. Good luck

#1rocketman 05-25-2011 11:24 PM

check this out,it's in Oregon:
sale-gvmz3-2332469040@craigslist.org

SteelCityRider 05-26-2011 03:23 AM

A road King hands down. The 6th gear is in my 07 King. Love the hard bags. This is actually only a question you can answer, it is what catches your eye. What do you want to change, etc....

Kaufmanrider 05-26-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by deano3326 (Post 8371227)
Hi guys. I'm just cuttung my Harley teeth. Just sold my GoldWing and I'm looking to buy a Road King. My question is...what's the difference between the RK and the RK Classic other than white wall tires and the hard leather bags vs the fiberglass bags? Can the fiberglass bags be switched out for the hard leather bags? I want a 2008 or newer for that 6th gear. Thanks.

Sold my 08 Goldwing in March. Bought a 2005 Road King Police. Personally, I prefer the looks of the hardbags. The guy I bought it from had put chrome/spoked wheels and white walls on it, looks good. A six speed wasn't that important to me, nor a bigger engine, mine is an 88 cubic and gets me where I want to go with amply speed and power. Besides, I got a great price I just couldn't pass up.

I had a six speed on my BMW and on my sportbike. In my opinion, you end up with one gear that is so short you it shouldn't even be there, so you still have 5 usable gears. Six speed gives you lower RPMS at Highway speeds, and probably slightly better gas mileage. But engine size and 5 or 6 speed is a personal thing. Go for what YOU want.

disco 05-27-2011 11:49 AM

Sold my Classic 2 weeks ago. Laced wheels and leather covered bags are a PITA to maintain and keep clean and the bags need special gizmos to lock them. I also prefer to run tubeless tires so I can shoot a can of glop in the tire if I get a flat out on the road. I do prefer the looks of the Classic, however, if you want to go down the road all day every day the RK standard will give you less grief.

KSRoadKing 05-27-2011 11:55 AM

I'd highly recommend the Classic. For me the wheels only take minutes to clean. The look and the ride are awesome. But go with the one that attracts you the most.

Pumba11 05-27-2011 12:03 PM

If I was buying new, I would get a classic and immediately switch out to the hard bags.

I like my current RK standard very much. I ride a lot and the leather looks like too much work for me. Plus the hard bags are more waterproof.