Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install of Vance and Hines power duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:12 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
can someone please attach a photo for a 2011 install to where which O2 sensor goes ? the 2011 02 sensors on stock pipes are right next to eachother vs V&H power duals.. i will be doing mine in 2 weeks finally along with AC and PV install. i dont want to get the )2 sensors mixed up.. on My V&H power duals, one bung is close to top of cylinder that cuts out when EITMS kicks in and other bung is near the X-Over... its not clear on the instructions... please help.
if you are doing the power comander v, you dont use the o2 sensors. you use bungs in place of them.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

can someone please attach a photo for a 2011 install to where which O2 sensor goes ? the 2011 02 sensors on stock pipes are right next to eachother vs V&H power duals.. i will be doing mine in 2 weeks finally along with AC and PV install. i dont want to get the )2 sensors mixed up.. on My V&H power duals, one bung is close to top of cylinder that cuts out when EITMS kicks in and other bung is near the X-Over... its not clear on the instructions... please help.
if you are useing pv2 you dont use the sensor, you use bungs to plug them off.the power comander overides the emc.

Last edited by rdc401; 05-26-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: sorry double post
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDThunder
The bung in the pipe close to the rear cylinder is obviously for the rear and that would be the O2 with the black connector. The one for the front cylinder would be the one near the cross over and that one is grey. Just match up the colors when you're reconnecting the sensors.

I don't have a picture but it really couldn't be any simpler than what I described.

As far as the install the two things that are potential "gotchas" are:

1) Getting all the heat shields lined up correctly... and be damn careful not to scratch the pipe shields with the crossover shield which lays on top of them.
2) Tightening the head pipe front bracket because there is almost no room to work. They actually want you to install the head pipe, take the head pipe back off and then finish tightening the bracket. I wasn't going for that and just used a ball head allen wrench.

Thanks HDThunder.. you answered my question to what i was looking for.
did u install all heatshields prior putting power duals onto bike ? i was wondering if i install all heatshields and then lift bike rear wheel to pass through the left side exhaust outlet to make it a little easier or would this cause headaches installing pipes to the exhaust outlet of the heads ?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rdc401
if you are useing pv2 you dont use the sensor, you use bungs to plug them off.the power comander overides the emc.
let me clarify... PCV is Power Commander 5 and PV is the new POWER VISION.. both are from Dynojet...
Yes you are correct if using the PCV and no autotune, the bungs can get plugged or you will have to disconnect the O2 sensors and plug them with the supplied resistor loads..

Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM
HDThunder
Cruiser

Thanks HDThunder.. you answered my question to what i was looking for.
did u install all heatshields prior putting power duals onto bike ? i was wondering if i install all heatshields and then lift bike rear wheel to pass through the left side exhaust outlet to make it a little easier or would this cause headaches installing pipes to the exhaust outlet of the heads ?
I loosely installed all the heat shields except the X prior to installing the head pipe. If I recall correctly the directions say you can do it either way. It was pretty difficult to get it installed on the bike because there isn't much room to get the worm clamps started. But I think not having it there makes tightening the front support bracket a little easier. So I guess it's a trade off. I used blue painters tape on the other shields so I wouldn't scratch them while installing the X shield. It's going to take some cursing and wrangling.

Not sure I understand what you're asking about lifting the bike though. I did mine on my bike lift sitting on the rear wheel but straight up (not on the stand). It worked fine that way and I was able to get the pipes and mufflers lined up even by measuring the height off the lift and making sure the mufflers where even and level. Install the crossover pipe to the left side after the head pipe is on. Don't tighten everything down until it's all straight and level.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be doing this install myself in the next week or two, so this thread was very timely!

Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks everyone from hdforums . i finally installed my power duals and HD SE heavy breather along with PV map from FM and V&H oval slip ons. never did exhaust swap b4. was a great experience of tooling. will post photos soon. sound is just right. not as loud as the slip ons on my 2008 with stock exhaust. seems the power duals quite the sound a little. they do bark when roll the throttle hard but then quite down. buddy has the true duals setup and is more loud at idle and highway speeds.

install was as per instructions but the hose clamps for the cross-over heat shield included with the power duals are to small. did install alone but if ure two when installing pipes to cylinder exhaust would be easier..

no popping or any issues with FM map..will see how gas mileage is now compared to stock and differance of heat on right side..
cheers and ride safe

Old 06-18-2011, 05:31 PM
fatster74
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 07 classic and I'm having a hard time with the bracket over the starter.Can't seem to figure it out and the pic doesn't help to much

Old 02-20-2015, 12:26 PM
controlsdude
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished installing Vance & Hines Power Duals, Drak V02 Intake, and FuelPak last weekend on my 2013 Street Glide. It's not difficult, just follow the instructions.

Attached Thumbnails Install of Vance and Hines power duals-img_0755-640x480-.jpg  
Old 02-21-2015, 06:45 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's a fairly straight forward assembly

About a 5 beer job as I recall. Make sure you use 'anti-seize' on the head bolt studs. The clamp for the chrome cross-over cover, I found to be a bit short and caused me a bit of hassle. Be very careful when clamping it into place as it's easy to scratch.

Quick Reply: Install of Vance and Hines power duals