Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On board tools needed for the ultra classic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
philipmcphail@hotmail.com
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tie wraps,had my horn bracket break off last summer.Tied it back up good to go.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
I would think you have a very dependable bike, and it is fully capable of making a few thousand mile trip without trouble. So for extras, I'm with Geoff and Mare, on this one, I say fuses, tie wraps, bungee's, flashlight, fix-a-flat, electrical tape, and a knife. The cell phone maybe the biggest item in today's time, but I'm sure you already have that one covered.

If you are insistent on having a different tool kit then the one your bike came with then I would suggest THIS ONE as it seems to have most everything needed and also fits nicely in the saddle bags.
wow thats a amazing setup!

Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a little less money involved, than THIS ONE should suffice very well.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:52 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My shifter came loose and was hanging just out of Atlanta one time. I didn't have an allen wrench to fit it but my vice grips got the job done.
Pliers, 8 in 1 screwdriver open end/boxed end wrenches. vise grips, tie straps, bungee cords and two LED flashlights. Oh, and an allen wrench for each thing that might fall off.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slothy
wow thats a amazing setup!
Yeah, I posted a link on here a few months back to it, when someone else was asking about a tool kit, and a lot of people are willing to spend 280-325 on the snap-on kit. I figure if you are going to dish out that much money, then I would buy the one I linked to, since it is made to fit in the bags without wasted space, and has a lot of tools for the price.

Like philip mentioned, the tie wraps fix the horn problem, which is a problem, if it hasn't broken yet, it may fail on you, as his broke, mine broke last year, and I know several others who have had their bracket break. When they fixed mine they put the newer and (supposedly) better bracket on, and it probably is better, as it has lasted longer so far.

Last edited by Copyless; 05-27-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:00 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need the goods to tighten up your starter bolts...those bad boys get loose and your starter looses ground and you get key silence....

Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Cell phone to call the closest dealer to come and get it and a credit card to pay that dealer and to go to the closest bar after you find out what the bill is!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:42 PM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

All good thoughts here. I'll throw out an item I didn't see mentioned yet -- some blue loctite. If you're fixin/tightening something on the road, you need some loctite on it

I carry pretty much everything mentioned above (I'm still working on the plumbing for a small kitchen sink in the tour pak though), but [knock on wood] I haven't needed anything yet except a phillips head screwdriver to change a spot light bulb.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Cell phone to call the closest dealer to come and get it and a credit card to pay that dealer and to go to the closest bar after you find out what the bill is!
THAT depends on where you like to "tour." If you're riding to Sturgis from "anywhere." your route will most likely run past an HD dealer every 60 miles or so, ( on average.) and lots of hotels.

But if you like to ride through say, Appalachia, where some of those folks have never SEEN a Harley, ( my flat tire was in Harlan County, KY...please Google it) then you're going to want to fix it yourself.

Harlan County was 155 miles from the closest dealer, ( Cincinatti,) and no one was coming after me on a Thursday evening on a road directly across from a coal mine no matter who's Credit Card I had. With the help of a cop, and rope and a motel 10 miles away...well, to make it shorter, wife and her friend in a Suburban with a UHAUL and a $1,000 we got out of there. ( You DON"T want to wait it out in a bar, trust me.) 2 Banjos anyone?

At any rate, I now carry pretty much all of the above plus an Emergency belt, ( 90,000 on this one,) and the socket to loosen the rear axle.

Headin' back to the mountains this weekend!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 PM
joefriday
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, lots of good info, thanks guys for chimming in on this. I do like those nice fitted tool bags but don't think that will work with the tool bag liners, will have to look. The other day i wasn't at home and tried to tighten the rails around my hard bags.
Took out the Harley tool kit and nothing would fit, son of a **itch. Its time for onboard tools.
Some of you guys said something about a tire plug kit? What about AIR?
That reminds me, a while back, a friend loaned his bike to another friend because he had no trans for a while. When he had the bike he got a flat and just plugged it. He gave the bike back and didn't say anything about the plug.
A bunch of us met up for a bike ride, wife's and all. Well as soon as the guy with the plug and his wife took off, POP!!! Good for me, the guy who plugged the tire is not a close friend. End of the story was NO ONE was hurt and the guy who plugged the tire bought the new tire.

Quick Reply: On board tools needed for the ultra classic?