Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Satrad Module and HD Zumo (Road Tech) NIM

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XM Satrad Module and HD Zumo (Road Tech) NIM

Good morning all...I need some guidance/advice, and I hope someone has experience with this issue. I had a 2009 Ultra, and installed the Boom XM module that sits on top of the radio under the fairing. To install this module, I had to purchase a separate wiring harness p/n 70164-06. All was well, and I was very satisfied.
OK...fast forward to today: I sold the 2009, and removed the XM module and wiring harness before the sale. I then purchased a 2011 Ultra Limited. I now wish to install the XM module on this bike. I don't anticipate any issues with that install, unless the wiring has changed significantly since 2009. Here's the issue, and the frustration with my local dealer: In addition to the HD XM module, I want to install the Harley Davidson branded Zumo 660, using the fairing mount, and the NIM (Nav Interface Module). This involves purchasing yet another harness for the NIM, and the installation instructions (I've looked at them online) don't address a scenario where the HD XM module is already installed. The NIM allows the GPS to interrupt any music source to bark out the verbal commands through the speakers if a route is entered...and doesn't require plugging into the aux in the radio's front. I asked the dealer parts guy what I would need, and he gave me the blank stare. He then asked if I had the XM mounted to the handlebar. I again explained the Harley XM module sits inside the fairing on top of the radio, next to the CB, and utilizes the radio control switches. Again, he asked if it looked like the one in the picture he was showing me (he was showing me the handlebar-mounted XM device). I said no, and I'd like to speak to someone who knew more about the audio products. Of course he was insulted...I'll let that story go for now. I don't expect them to know about everything, but if they don't know, just say so. Anyhow, I then went to the service department, and was told that there were some issues with the NIM and Bluetooth on the CVO models. Huh? That's not what I asked, and I don't care about Bluetooth. I don't have a CVO model. What about MY question? More frustration.
OK, for you guys, here's the same basic question: Can I install the NIM along with the HD XM module? Do I need additional cables even though I have an accessory cable (p/n 70164-06) that was required for the XM module install? There is a harness required for just the NIM installation, but how does it interface with the XM module harness? Are there instructions on how to do this? Separate instructions exist for both XM module and NIM installations, but I can't find any that show how to install both together, and they each "share" some of the same connections (i.e. 35 pin connector at the rear of the radio). Nobody at my dealer can give a lucid answer. I'd rather they say "I don't know, I've never done it" than try and show me how smart they are by explaining the obvious and irrelevant ("This will require removing the fairing"; "XM is a subscription service even if you have the module"), and/or just plain guessing. Have any of you done this installation? I just want my XM module (p/n 76404-06) to work in conjunction with the fairing-mounted Road Tech Zumo 660, utilizing the Navigation Interface Module (p/n 76000024) to allow the GPS to provide voice prompts through the speakers. If you are still reading this, thanks for your help!
I'm at the point now of just saying "@#$%! it", and plugging the GPS into the aux, so when I want voice commands I just switch to aux mode. Cheaper, and obviously easier. Regards, A06

Last edited by Airborne06; 05-28-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, let me take a shot at this.

I have installed the Road Tech Zumo 665 & NIM on my '07. I have NO experience with the add-on XM Module. From the looks of your Ultra overlay harness & the installation directions for the XM module (from the HD website), it appears that the XM module is plugged in through the same port as the CB. The NIM on the other hand comes with it's own harness and is wired directly into unused slots in the 35 pin connector on the back of the radio.

Please check this further, but I'm going to say that you can indeed have the XM module (installed as you had it on your previous ride) & also be able to have the NIM installed per it's directions, ie: wired directly into the 35 pin connector. I know that the CVO Ultra comes with the same XM module & the NIM installed from the factory...so that tells me it can be done. If all else fails, possibly a call the Harley's Customer Care Tech Support will give you the answers & procedures you need to hook all this up & get it working properly. Also, I think you can download the installation directions for the NIM from Harley's website & study them further to fully understand how it is installed.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it will work, as mentioned above the NIM, uses it's own pin out on the Deutsch connector. The only add on (that I know of) the NIM will not work with is the hands free cell phone kit.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Airborne06
Tourer

Gentlemen: Thank you for the insight, and I believe the solution! The incorrect or missing piece of information you provided is the fact that the XM module plugs into the CB, not the radio. That is where the dealer became confused I believe...thinking the XM and NIM can't both be plugged into the same connector at the back of the radio. This is now one of those "Eureka" moments! Thank you so much for your expertise, and for taking the time to address my issue.
Best Regards, A06

Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok not to highjack this thread but I have a question..... If I get the Road tech zumo 665. Will I need both the NIM and the XM modules or since the 665 has built it XM it will work thru the NIM.......

Thanks

Also can you bluetooth you cell phone thru the 665 and talk thru the Factory HD headset...

Thanks again

Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usmc3468
Ok not to highjack this thread but I have a question..... If I get the Road tech zumo 665. Will I need both the NIM and the XM modules or since the 665 has built it XM it will work thru the NIM.......

Thanks

Also can you bluetooth you cell phone thru the 665 and talk thru the Factory HD headset...

Thanks again
You won't need the XM module, it is as you suspect, the 665 will have the antenna with it.

You can BT your cell phone through the 665 (I have the 660 and have done this). Now when I did this, I was testing it, and I could talk though the 660, as it has a mic. I could also have the RT, BT'd to my phone and my BT headset and talk this way. I only played with it a little while with the actual HD headset for the bike, and I don't remember being able to get it to talk, I only remember hearing on it, the 660 may have had it internal mic still active. At the time of testing I didn't have anyone to answer the phone (and was in a hurry) so I couldn't check all the possibilities. Now that you mention this, I'm going to play with it some more in the next day or so, and get a definite answer to this part. But I would think that you would be able to.

I like to use the phone hooked to the 660 even if I don't use a headset, because at least with the 660 on and the phone connected to it, I can see that someone is calling me (in case it was important) whereas without the visual, I in no way would hear the phone ring, as we all know.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
hdramon07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by usmc3468

Thanks

Thanks again
As Copyless posted above, the Road Tech Zumo 665 does have XM , so no need for the separate XM module.

Two things you should be aware of:
In order to hear the XM feed, you must plug into the AUX port on the front of the radio (or have a separate port installed on the rear).

There is a serious bug in the 665/NIM system that has yet to be resolved. Here is a link to just one of the threads about this:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...de-issues.html

As far as talking through the HD headset, you will need something similar to this: http://www.hdbomm.com/.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Airborne06
Tourer

Originally Posted by hdramon07
As Copyless posted above, the Road Tech Zumo 665 does have XM , so no need for the separate XM module.

In order to hear the XM feed, you must plug into the AUX port on the front of the radio (or have a separate port installed on the rear).

There is a serious bug in the 665/NIM system that has yet to be resolved. Here is a link to just one of the threads about this:

As far as talking through the HD headset, you will need something similar to this: http://www.hdbomm.com/.
Wow! After reading through this thread, I may forego purchasing the NIM and just plug my HD 660 into the aux port. I have the HD XM module installed in the fairing, and really wanted to be able to hear voice prompts from the GPS without switching to aux mode, or having to connect the GPS through the aux port. I think I'll keep it simple and just listen to the XM, and when I need verbal directions I'll switch the radio over to aux mode. I don't need the expensive aggravation!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
hdramon07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Airborne06
Wow! After reading through this thread, I may forego purchasing the NIM and just plug my HD 660 into the aux port. I have the HD XM module installed in the fairing, and really wanted to be able to hear voice prompts from the GPS without switching to aux mode, or having to connect the GPS through the aux port. I think I'll keep it simple and just listen to the XM, and when I need verbal directions I'll switch the radio over to aux mode. I don't need the expensive aggravation!
In your case, IF you get your XM from the HD XM Module, and IF you do not try to listen to MP3 or any audio source from the 660, the NIM Should work as advertised & interrupt any of your other sources with the turn by turn directions. The problem (as I & many others see it) is that the NIM is mistaking some portions of the audio feed from the Zumo (ie: XM or MP3) as a turn by turn prompt.

I thought about a separate XM module as you have, which would solve my problems, but it would require 2 separate XM subscriptions since I would not only want XM radio, but Nav Traffic & Nav Weather also (which is the main reason I spent the extra $$$$ to get the Zumo 665). I'm stuck with waiting (not so patiently) for a fix, since I'm not about to spend a bunch more to get the separate XM module & pay for 2 XM subscriptions.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Linville Lion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdramon07

I agree with hdramon07. And the hdbomm does work pretty well. I could not find any other way to get it to work. The hdbomm has an output that connects to the mic on the Zumo.

Quick Reply: XM Satrad Module and HD Zumo (Road Tech) NIM