Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: what style helmet do you wear
no helmet
8.81%
1/2 helmet
50.68%
3/4 helmet
15.75%
full face helmet
24.77%
Voters: 1918. You may not vote on this poll

what style helmet do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by RickW3
The choice is mine. If I want a DOT approved half helmet, it's my choice. Can't dwell on what might happen. If something happens, it happens. What's the sense of a full or 3/4 helmet when you are sliding down the road and it's like a cheese grater for you arms and legs. If I was afraid of something happening, I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle. You can't predict what might happen, and be scared of it. Just deal with what comes.
Just because you can't predict what might happen doesn't mean you can't try to prepare for it. Almost all of the weak *** excuses people use for not trying to protect themselves revolves around wanting to look cool. That just as stupid as it gets.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
I ride with a full face helmet and my state is a state that does not require helmets. But it's a law that you have to have a seat belt on. Go figure.
The people that created the laws in your state probably figure that because there are many more cage drivers, and they average many more miles then motorcycle riders, there are many more opportunities for a safety factor, helmets vs. seatbelts, to have an effect on public safety.

I have a helmet damaged in the same manner as your helmet but mine isn't quite as bad.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I have a helmet damaged in the same manner as your helmet but mine isn't quite as bad.
Not my helmet, Thank god. I keep this picture around as a reminder of what a full face helmet protects you from. Another poster posted on a site about helmet safety. His helmet and his story reminds me why I like to where a full face.

The following users liked this post:
rjg883c (06-23-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:35 AM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Novelty Polo style most of the time.

Full Face when it's under 50°

Old 07-02-2017, 04:44 PM
andyrffr
Novice
Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

It's always the smallest and lightest that I can get away with. I'm in a club and we require everyone wears a DOT so that can't be used as an excuse to stop us. So when riding with the club or any brothers, I wear the smallest DOT that I can. If I'm alone or with non club brothers I wear a little skull helmet.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Wraith04
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Just because you can't predict what might happen doesn't mean you can't try to prepare for it. Almost all of the weak *** excuses people use for not trying to protect themselves revolves around wanting to look cool. That just as stupid as it gets.
By this statement, everyone that rides a bike should drive a car to protect themselves.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:02 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Wraith04
By this statement, everyone that rides a bike should drive a car to protect themselves.
If that's what you wanna do, sure. I'll just ride my bike and wear gear that I feel will help protect me if I end up in a crash. My point was that the vast majority of excuses for why people refuse to wear PPE revolves around looking cool or rebellious spite.

The following 2 users liked this post by SWThomas:
Deuuuce (07-03-2017), hellonewman (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Quite a few of the responses from the ATGATT folks remind me of the smugness of bicyclists. Many bicyclists tend to look down their nose at others, portraying a "I'm better than you because I'm because my carbon footprint is smaller than yours" attitude.

I get the same vibe from folks who look down their noses at others because of their helmet choice. Just sayin' .....

Old 07-02-2017, 07:36 PM
r2t2k2
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by banddirector
Quite a few of the responses from the ATGATT folks remind me of the smugness of bicyclists. Many bicyclists tend to look down their nose at others, portraying a "I'm better than you because I'm because my carbon footprint is smaller than yours" attitude.

I get the same vibe from folks who look down their noses at others because of their helmet choice. Just sayin' .....
Hell's bells... Wear whatever you want to wear... After watching my FF helmet get ground down on the 405 back in the 80's made me a believer. 'Cuz I'm not all that pretty to begin with and can't afford any more ugly!

Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 PM
kempomark
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Helmet X3

I just bought a Harley Pilot helmet. Three helmets in one. For cooler days and needing comms I have a three quarter HJC with attached Sena. For cold days I have a brand new HJC full face also with comms. It's cool because it's camo!

Attached Thumbnails what style helmet do you wear?-harley-pilot-helmet.jpg   what style helmet do you wear?-hjc-camo.jpg  

Quick Reply: what style helmet do you wear?