Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna buy a new Road King...questions about price/accessories.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 PM
tazaroo
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gonna buy a new Road King...questions about price/accessories.

Well I finally decided that I'm going to get a 2012 Road King. This is going to be my first brand new bike since the mid 1980's so I have a few questions. I have purchased my fair share of new cars and have never purchased any of them for MSRP. I'm planning on adding a slew of HD accessories as well at time of purchase just so they fall under the warranty. Here are a few questions:
1: With the bike at (vivid black) at 17,500 should I be able to get at least a thousand off sticker? I will be buying her in late Feb.

2: I'm planning on a decent amount of accessories like beech bars, Screaming eagle touring pipes with fishtail endcaps, 4pt docking kit, sissy bar, backrest pad, all around visor style trim kit for all lights, detachable two up rack. How bad are they gonna nail me for installation or should I insist installation be included?

3: I like the white walls of the classic but not the leather bags. Can I get them to swap out tires at no charge? I would be changing the wheels also because the RK has a 17" front tire and the whitewalls at 16"

I may have a few more questions so this is just the start.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:23 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Let dealer add up all the stuff and get his total. Then take $2000 off the MSRP and 25% all the add ons. Take your time at this point, Now total it up and add in the TTF(tax,title, fees) Take that total and offer that amount to dealer and state "you will buy it today for that amount" now the key: shut your mouth and say no more. If salesman/manager turns down your offer, walk out and go home. You can expect a phone call shortly to come in and pick 'er up.

Last edited by checkers; 01-28-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure anyone here can even answer your questions. Each dealer makes up their own mind on what they will include.
What you have mentioned sounds like pretty big bucks. If you can walk in with cash you will get a whole lot further IMO.
Money talks

Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 AM
tazaroo
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Let dealer add up all the stuff and get his total. Then take $2000 off the MSRP and 25% all the add ons. Take your time at this point, Now total it up and add in the TTF(tax,title, fees) Take that total and offer that amount to dealer and state "you will buy it today for that amount" now the key: shut your mouth and say no more. If salesman/manager turns down your offer, walk out and go home. You can expect a phone call shortly to come in and pick 'er up.

That sounds like a good idea. I was figuring this time of year would be more buyer friendly. So 25% off all the add on accessories hey?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, my $0.02

1) Maybe, and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, so you should go ahead and try. It really just depends on the dealer, the area, what they think is going to be hot (around here the touring bikes are hot). But the closer you get to riding season, the less they will want to deal, so I'd go earlier in feb than later. In fact, I'd go now, at the end of january...

2) 20% of accessories purchase at time of deal is my bare minimum. As far as installation, again, they're all different. Personally, since you aren't adding electronics, I'd probably limit the preinstalled stuff to the bars you mentioned and do the rest yourself

3) again, not too many dealers will do anything at "no charge", but no harm in asking.

I agree with checkers, and it's basically what I did. I made a spreadsheet that had the msrp of the bike, all the accessories and part numbers of what I wanted, took 20% off, put in a token amount for installation (a guess), added nothing for shipping or setup, and just one line for their fee, plus, in my case, a high value for my trade. Summed it up, emailed it and said I'd be there that night with a deposit and next day with a check.

They took the deal...

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Getting a discount on a new bike all depends on what the dealer is willing to do.Some dealers will only sell at MSRP and some will discount.......time to shop around.

Some dealers will also give you a discount on parts and labor at the time of purchase.
You would be lucky too have them install all those items for no charge.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Oops,Double post!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The other thing I would add to your list is the 1K and 5K maintenance included. Most likely you will get the 1K. If you dont ask you aren't getting anything.

Feb is a good month to buy, but dont wait too long, as soon as the weather breaks that changes things a lot.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Good advice from previous posts - good luck w/the wheeling/dealing. HD sales staff are your enemy so come @ them w/barrels loaded & do your figuring before going in. I'm guessing you're shopping w/cash-in-hand - be prepared to offer what "you're" willing to pay so right off the bat cut bike to $16.5K. After you've sealed that part...ask for $1K in free accessories & then go for discount on remainder. Remember the bike's your main prize & parts/accessories will be the icing...go for it!!!

Last edited by Iceman24; 01-29-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: delete
Old 01-29-2012, 07:36 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tazaroo
Here are a few questions:
should I be able to get at least a thousand off sticker?

2: I'm planning on a decent amount of accessories like beech bars, Screaming eagle touring pipes with fishtail endcaps, 4pt docking kit, sissy bar, backrest pad, all around visor style trim kit for all lights, detachable two up rack. How bad are they gonna nail me for installation or should I insist installation be included?
3: Can I get them to swap out tires at no charge?
Originally Posted by luc.who
The other thing I would add to your list is the 1K and 5K maintenance included.
I would like to find a dealer that would do all these things.
Might as well ask them to make the first 3 payments and a 1% interest rate also!

Quick Reply: Gonna buy a new Road King...questions about price/accessories.