Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG wind turbulence

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
103 FLHX
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SG wind turbulence

I just picked up my new 2011 Street Glide Friday have about 300 miles on it. The wind in my face is worse then my old bike with no windshield. I am 6'2". Has anyone else had this problem? I am looking at the "wind splitter windshield" from Harley or a Klock Works, any thoughts on these or would they help?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Friday55
Road Master

I'm 6'1" and had the same problem. I just went with the 10" shield from HD.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Two worst things on a street glide Seat and Wind shield. Both are for style and looks zero function.

Can I make a suggestion before you spend big money on parts that may not work. Buy a Ultra take off. 13 inch. Mark in one inch increments then start triming to the heigh that you like for view and wind. Once you know your height choice you will know what to order. That would be way cheaper than own 3-4 wind shields that sit in the garage. Wind shields are personal choices and all of our requirements are different.

Me personally I like the 4 in on my Street Glide for Local motoring, But I also like te 13 in on the limited for constant over 65 MPH long rides.

I am 5 inch 6 inches

Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
Two worst things on a street glide Seat and Wind shield. Both are for style and looks zero function.

Can I make a suggestion before you spend big money on parts that may not work. Buy a Ultra take off. 13 inch. Mark in one inch increments then start triming to the heigh that you like for view and wind. Once you know your height choice you will know what to order. That would be way cheaper than own 3-4 wind shields that sit in the garage. Wind shields are personal choices and all of our requirements are different.

Me personally I like the 4 in on my Street Glide for Local motoring, But I also like te 13 in on the limited for constant over 65 MPH long rides.

I am 5 inch 6 inches
Great advice. I'm 6' and like the 9".

Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out a 9" Windvest shield at http://windvest.com/products/products.html

Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain

measure correctly and buy once. a pc of string and a tape measure is all you need

Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm 6ft and like the 6.5" Clearview. Consider trying the adjustable air deflectors along with whatever shield you decide to go with, as much of that air is coming from below the batwing.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have the Aero recurved polycarbonate windshield available in 6-10" sizes
Generally, a person 6'2 would go with a 9 or 10 inch shield, but every person is different in their wants/needs.
The Aero is guaranteed to fit correctly with no issues & has a 1 year warranty.
Prices are $74.99 - $79.99 + S&H

Come check it out: www.FastAire.com
Looking is free !

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
zfdtruckman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently picked up a new FLTRX and I like the looks of the low shield. First bike I ever owned with a fairing and "windshield". Yep. You get a good blast but I'm used to it. I know for the type of riding I do, it suits me fine. If I decide to go on a long trip, this is what I'll put on. Nothing but the best: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.2136/.f
You can easily take off the outer shield and ride around the local haunts with the low aluminum shield when not distance riding without compromising the look of the bike.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 PM
firefightermike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 103 FLHX
I just picked up my new 2011 Street Glide Friday have about 300 miles on it. The wind in my face is worse then my old bike with no windshield. I am 6'2". Has anyone else had this problem? I am looking at the "wind splitter windshield" from Harley or a Klock Works, any thoughts on these or would they help?
I'm 5'11" and have the Clearview 6.5" recurve. Less expensive and does the job for me. I have a sundowner seat. Good quality and customer service. They have an 8" that might work for you.

Quick Reply: SG wind turbulence