Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   volt meter jumping (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/651249-volt-meter-jumping.html)

mike08sg 06-05-2011 07:53 AM

volt meter jumping

went on a long ride yesterday,noticed the volt meter was jumping between 13-16 at 70mph,at idle it's steady as a rock,stopped at a dealer,volt meter said all's ok,back on the road about 5 minutes and starts again,no lights on.any ideas?

RoadGlideGary 06-05-2011 08:23 AM

I'd check for loose connections (battery, regulator, cap switch connections and guage connection). anyothers making odd jumps or just the voltage gauge?

_Andy_ 06-05-2011 08:28 AM

Does it jump around at the same rev range in other gears?

If not I'd bet that you've got a loose connection in there somewhere that just happened to be acting up at that speed with the road surface that you were on

TheProfessorVMC 07-27-2011 01:36 PM

I'm now having the same issue on my 09 FLHTCUI. 17000 miles. New voltage regulator still having this problem. Have you been able to resolve this issue? My voltage meter seems to only do it when I am about 20 miles down the highway (good and warmed up). However, when I come off the highway and stop (idle speed) it stops doing it. I have completely gone over every connection and either tighten it up or applied dielectric grease to connectors. I am way at a lose here. It use to be rock steady at around 14V.

Akitakoi 07-27-2011 01:40 PM

It should be at 14 at idle and increase about 1 volt for every 1,000 rpm. Is that what you mean about jumping or is it just bouncing around at a constant RPM?

Mine may have done this before the stator went out but I rarely look at it.

TheProfessorVMC 07-27-2011 01:53 PM

It is bouncing hard and fast. It starts normal, climbs normal, however when I get to cruising speed and only after about 20 miles does it start to bounce. It will bounce from anywhere between 13 to a little above 14. It does it quickly and hard. It will do it at all RPM (once down the road 20 miles or so) until I come to idle speed. Then it will not do it again until I am cruising at 70 mph or better.

big ears 07-27-2011 02:16 PM

Mine did it at 19000 miles. Only when warm and going 70 or so. Dealer changed out the meter. Works fine now.

TheProfessorVMC 07-27-2011 02:22 PM

Big Ears... this is what I was leaning towards. However I am hooking up a Volt meter and testing battery while at speed to rule out the battery.

TheProfessorVMC 07-27-2011 02:46 PM

After the battery test then the volt meter guage itself. Cross your fingers ;)

TheProfessorVMC 07-28-2011 08:32 AM

Update... Tested battery at speed - No issues. Tested Stator connections - No issues. Disconnected Voltmeter gauge and attached my shop voltmeter and went for a ride... No issues with charging... summation is that replacement of voltmeter gauge $84.00. Will replace voltmeter.