Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Is it a Lemon? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/651697-is-it-a-lemon.html)

SLiKPMC 06-06-2011 10:06 AM

Is it a Lemon?

I think I approached this worng last time... I called my thread "Merlot", and I whined. Forgive me.
Here is my problem... I have a 2008 FLHTCU, and feel I have had too many problmes with it. Going forward my dilema is what should I do, what are my options here? ... do I continue to spend weeks at a time in a cage as the bike continues to fall apart around itself and end up in the shop for warranty repair? I am a smart @$$, but in this case, I really do want to hear from the forum. Are there other legitimate and valid options for me. This last time I brought it in I was referred to the sales department to trade it in. Doing that, I start all over paying for another new bike, with crappy interest rates... I feel like I am getting s#!- on for buying the bike in the first place and that is just a kick in the gut. Comes across to me as "Hey, sorry you are having so many problems with your bike, why don't you start all over paying for a new one?" WTF, I want to pay it off, and own it outright, not be further in debt with a chance of facing the same thing again.

Am I still whining? Should I shut up, and put up? No, I don't think so... I know this is BS, so what are the options here? I'm not able to pull my dresser in the garage, and throw it up on the lift, go through the service manual, parts manaul, etc, and hit the forum up for questions... my living conditions won't support that between family obligations, and current housing environment. (yes, once upon a time I had the garage, and before that I pulled it into my room, but that was a sportster, and before family)

so far, the warranty was great, and the extended service plan is ok... thanks :icon_hug:to the MoCo for handling the denied claim against the belt drive, and rear drive sprocket with dampener.

Now, what do I do? Keep on keepin on with this bike? Are there other options. I have been playing with the idea of talking/writing the MoCo to address this. I love my Harleys, but this bike, (my second, and purchased brand new like my first) is leaving me on the fence about these bikes. there are plenty of bikes rolling out there, that seem to be relatively problem free, and of the group I ride with, I am the one ALWAYS having issues with my bike.

To give an idea of the challenges handled on 2008 FLHTCU purchased new off the floor with 11 miles on it, I have the following list:
1.)Stereo cutting out, fixed
2.)Front Bearing fell apart, fixed
3.)start switch failed, snow ball effect... caused the starter to be rebuilt, ring gear on clutch hub destroyed... so clutch hub replaced, starter gear replaced, and obviously, the start switch replaced. fixed.
4.)Loss of charge to battery, rotor replaced (stator on older bikes)
5.)rear dampening drive sprocket, and drive belt wore down to nothing at 40K, HD MoCo replaced...
6.)Neck bearing caused death wobble, bearings, and Race replaced.
7.)rear wheel bearing fell apart, replaced out of pocket.
8..)Loss of throttle control, in shop now.
9.)current concerns, squeeking intermittent in front end, whirring noise from primary area, sounds like it did when the first rotor failed, and rear end making a rubbing noise, from around the drive belt.

'05Train 06-06-2011 10:14 AM

What dealer? If it's in Fairfax, that may be part of your problem.

Jack Straw 06-06-2011 10:29 AM

So, you say the list of problems is from a bike with 11 miles on it, but then say the drive sprocket crapped out at 40k?? I'm a little confused, but I think I get it. How many miles are on the bike now?

Nothing has changed with Harley-Davidsons in over 100 years. The bottom line is, you have to be mechanically inclined and take matters into your own hands, and not depend on the dealership or a mechanic for general maintenance. It's not your sister's Honda Civic. Not giving you a hard time, that's just how it is. If you're unable to do that, which you say you are, you'll more than likely continue with problems.

SLiKPMC 06-06-2011 10:43 AM

'05train; purchased from Groves, Winchester... and go to a different dealer for work.

fleabite; I hear ya... may be a different story with a different bike, but the ultra... it's a bit more than I can handle in a parking space, without my tool bench, compressor, etc at hand for what ever comes up. Would love to have my garage and my work table back... just not an option right now. The bike was Purchased with 11 miles, brandnew, off the floor, in July, 2008. I'm at 45K on the clock now... just not getting out to ride as much as I used to, and these problems being so many and so frequent, and so serious, are only making it more of a PIA. not like they are simple little things, like changing brakes, swapping fluids, replacing a brake rotor, stuff like that. Really, front bearings and races?? Charging system? something here or there, understandable. What kind of problems have you tackled in the last 30K miles on your ride? Excluding upgrades...

It is a Harley, I expect to get my hands dirty, and enjoy doing a bit here and there... but I stepped up to this bike, in order to spend more time enjoying it with Family... now it is a headache hearing "its going the the shop again!!!" at some point in time it cuts into the shoe shopping budget... and then life goes all to hell... Happy Wife... Happy Life.

ezriderpgh 06-06-2011 10:45 AM

Sorry bout your luck, but if it were me i'd dump it now rather than continue to lose equity in it. The older it gets the less it's worth. Why throw good money after bad? I had an '08 FLHTCU for 3 years and it never saw a shop for anything.

Jack Straw 06-06-2011 10:49 AM

I hear ya, and I sympathize. And it does sound like you have a good handle of what's going on. That said, that is a quite a myriad list of issues, especially for a newer bike. Harley Davidson is a love/hate relationship for sure.

Jack Straw 06-06-2011 10:54 AM

To answer your question, this bike is a year and half old, and I've had no problems (knock on wood).

However, I had a 2002 Softail that I bought brand new as well, and took it into the shop at 17k miles to have the cam chain tensioners looked at, and a bad cam was discovered. Yes, the cam itself, not the chain, tensioners or bearings - the cam! I was not a happy camper.

Wild Card 06-06-2011 10:58 AM

been doing burnouts with it havent ya?

the charging system, well you may have a short or something givin the history with radio and such.

bearings, and pulley ,idk belt tension

I would unload that S.O.B, and I personally would go back to and 01'-02' year model, that's just me. I would rather have a good motor and trans, and build the 88'' to what I want with premiere parts. I had an 07'flhx what a ''clunker'' literaly, replaced trany once, and they did the pulley and crap once. It was nice to run 80 in 6th gear, but my 5spd in my FXDWG runs 120 in 5th gear alot and never bothers me. or add a baker 6spd to an 01' year. I'll quit talkin now, I just like my bikes built from gorund up the way I want, and they don't make um from the factory that way.

when life hands you a lemon, I like to add some Jack D and have Lynchburg Leomonade

NewAge 06-06-2011 11:00 AM

Sounds like a lemon to me. I have had two warranty issues with my 10 SG since I got it April '10. To me, a couple is understandable. My issues were only outdated mapping, causing my stock exhaust to discolor and my voltage gauge went out. The list you have are big issues. I'm at 30K and haven't had any issues since about 6K. I agree with trying to get out from under it soon. Sometimes you gotta cut your losses and weigh the good and bad. If you're into Harleys then make the sacrifice and jump on another (the likelihood of getting another lemon is slim to none), if not, then save some money and roll with a Honda or something.

Good luck!

SLiKPMC 06-06-2011 11:12 AM

nothing against other makes... but I got what I wanted. I wanted a Harley. I have since I was 4 years old... My first image of a Harley was something that today is a Heritage Classic. I don't want a soft tail though... well, except for the Bad Boy. I want my bagger for long rides (cross country, or camping...) and I want a dyna for commuting/daily driver. I got the bagger... I'll pick up a Dyna when the price and money is right.

as far as doing burn outs... and risk sounding like more of a RUB than I already do... I'm willing to learn, but haven't achieved it yet on a 96" stocker. Frankly... with this many issues... I really would rather be in the saddle than risk MORE friggin issues and stuck in my cage. (But I still wanna learn, guess you can grow up, and get wiser... but the kid in me still wants to play)