Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock PTT switch with aftermarket commo

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Tytanium
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock PTT switch with aftermarket commo

I've done a tone of research and am leaning toward selling the HK head unit and going with and aftermarket stereo option and a STARCOM1 or Autocom option for phone/GPS/ICS and possibly an aftermarket bike-to-bike radio. With the Starcom and/or Autocom I can switch back and forth between CB, GMRS or even HAM radios with the right antenna. The most likely bike-to-bike radio will be a small Midland CB installed in Tour-Pak - set the squelch for close range and leave it on one channel.

I've ruled out the Bluetooth options given the pairing limitations - not good for group rides. Doing a little math.... the cost of adding the HD CB module and harness..... no thanks. I can sell the HK head unit and nearly pay for all my desired upgrades (Stereo, Starcom etc etc).

So the question: Has anyone rewired the stock PTT switch for an aftermarket product like a CB or other application? or know if it's possible?

I'm physically separated from my bike by 8000-9000 miles this riding season (work) but am trying to get all my ducks in a row for this Mod when I get home. Didn't find anything on this forum, other forums or doing a plethora of google search combinations.

"A Plethora?"
"Si El Guapo. A plethora"
"Do you even know what a plethora means?"

Thanks in advance.

T

Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You put a lot of options in there, for using with your system! What is your main likely use? My wife and I recently junked the Starcom1 we had in favour of a blue-tooth, which so far has proved far superior. That is using it on the same bike for an intercom. We have several friends who have used both Starcom and Autocom (now the same company) with mixed results. I suggest you walk slowly into this, rather than rush at it! If the core of the system proves poor it would not be wise to have high expectations of all the things you would like of it.

The problems we had with our Starcom is the connectors are not very robust and quickly deteriorated. We used it mainly on two tours of a fortnight each, after which it was difficult to plug in the headsets. At speed we never could get the darned thing to stop generating noise, despite the claims for having noise suppression.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Tytanium
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GR,

Been a while since anyone has whipped out "fortnight". I like it.

You're the second guy to bring up connectors re Starcom/Autocom. Not that two makes for a trend but it raises concern. The issues your friends had.... connectors as well?

Thanks

T

Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Tytanium
GR,

Been a while since anyone has whipped out "fortnight". I like it.

You're the second guy to bring up connectors re Starcom/Autocom. Not that two makes for a trend but it raises concern. The issues your friends had.... connectors as well?

Thanks

T
We get fortnights quite often over here in the UK!

The few friends I know with these things have all had different issues with them concerning performance. One couple ride their own bikes mostly, so had Autocom with radios, but the system was just so unreliable and unpredictable they dumped them. Don't know what they are doing at present. A couple we toured with recently have Starcom1 and are happy with it, riding on the same bike, but they haven't had it long!

I hesitate to say any more, but we were disappointed with ours and these things cost serious money. We now have Schuberth 3 helmets with built-in blue-tooth, thanks to a Cardo Scala tie-up. Reception is better than the Starcom (hardly hi-fi!) but we have yet to be confident of it working when we want to - it is supposed to be activiated by speech when it goes into sleep mode, but likes to sleep, then wakes up unexpectedly!

We have tried earlier and cheaper systems and the Schuberths are the closest we have got to something we like that works, however I am very
sceptical that we can send a man to the moon, but still cannot let two motorcyclists sitting on the same bike talk to each other reliably at speed!