Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King apes and a windshield???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 AM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King apes and a windshield???

I have a question for your RK owners with apes. Currently I have beach bars on my 03 RKC and have been seriously thinking about some 14s possibly 16s. The only problem is that I have really whimped out and very rarely ride without the windshield anymore. I did not have one on my last bike and did not know the difference but got one for an iron butt ride. Since it was not a quick detach I left it on all the time. Now I have one on the RK and it is a quick detach buy it never gets taken off. I ran to the store last Saturday 14 miles round trip with the shield off and put it back on as soon as I got back home. I guess my question is for those that have apes do you ride with the shield or just tough it out so you look cool? Pics of RK with apes and the shield would be helpful if you have any.
Thanks
Joe

Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 12 1/2"' Chubby's with a 19" long ride windshield which is 2 1/2"s shorter than the factory 21". I wish they were 14's though. As you can see from the pic they look fine behind the windshield.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

unfortunately, I have my bars kicked too far forward to run windshield. At 6'5" I need to have the bars forward when I run the stock seat. When I run my Corbin solo I can pull bars back just far enough to run the windshield. I have been trying to find the right windshield that will fit with bars forward but havent been successful. Id also like to try a detachable fairing but thats a lot of money to spend to find out I have to pull my bars too far back. Maybe a Memphis fairing as its cheaper and I hear the brackets are adjustable. I personally dont like the look of the shield on my King and do enjoy riding around town without it but trips require some sort of wind blockage if I want to do more than 200 miles.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 AM
fatbob
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My windshield is always on with my apes. Much more comfortable with both on and rider backrest.

Attached Thumbnails Road King apes and a windshield???-dsc04771.jpg   Road King apes and a windshield???-dsc04779.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 AM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 16" carlini gangster apes. I do use the windshield on every ride except for just around town. Been nailed in the face by too many bugs here in Arkansas. I have them pushed as far forward as I can with the shield. I had to get a clutch cable clamp attached to the bars to hold the clutch cable down and away from rubbing the shield. (already replaced one clutch cable due to the shield cutting the magnum chromite sheathing. (which isnt the toughest stuff btw). I will try and take a picture of the windshield and the clamp with the clutch cable today to tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:43 PM
cliffordsoftail
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 RK Classic with WO 572 14'sRoad King apes and a windshield???-bike-pictures-002.jpg

Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Always on. I'm about comfort. Outgrew the need to just "look cool" some years ago. They also work well with my Dragonfly detachable fairing.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though i feel more comfortable with the bars a little more forward i'v basically have left my windshield on.Take them off when in the mood.16" apes.

Attached Thumbnails Road King apes and a windshield???-photo-3-.jpg  

Last edited by rick; 06-12-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

Thanks for the help. I'm doin it....

Old 06-12-2011, 05:12 PM
mike lhc
Tourer

What about a Windvest windshield?

Quick Reply: Road King apes and a windshield???