Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beam, low beam at the same time

Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default High beam, low beam at the same time

I am thinking about having the low beam on with the high beam.

I have looked at the passing light detail to have the passing lights on with the high beam.

http://www1.hdtalking.com/tn634s3.jpg

Essentially one simply disconnects the passing lights power feed from the low beam power feed and then takes the passing light power from the accessory circuit.

Now I am wondering how to have the low beam on when the hi beam is on. I do not like how you lose the low beam flooding the road immediately in front of the bike when the high beam is switched on.

I have the H-D LED head light and passing lights so I suspect that the draw with all of the lights on would not be too much as, perhaps, with conventional bulbs.

And, I believe the LEDs do not generate the same amount of heat as conventional lights.

I suppose I could do the same thing with the low beam as with the passing lights diagram. Simply disconnect the low beam feed and get the low beam power from the accessory circuit. By-passing the hi/low beam switch.

However, then I would be loading the accessory circuit with the passing lights and the low beam light. I would like to leave the accessory circuit available for other things. Such as my ham radio when I get it set up.

Is there a way to run the low beam and passing lights as they are now and simply have the hi/low switch turn off and on the hi beam so that the hi beam runs with the low beam and the passing lights? Keeping everything on the light circuit as it is now?

I suspect that someone may have a schedematic of the switch. That there should be a way to by-pass the switch inside of the switch so that the low side of the switch is inoperative. Making the low bean and the passing lights always hot. If I cared to, I could still turn off the passing lights with the switch at the back of the main light.

Thoughts??? Ideas ???

By the way Dads, Happy Father's Day !!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:45 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There have been several threads on this subject. I would say use the search tool but it way faster if you google it.

Good luck hope you get it figured out.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
There have been several threads on this subject. I would say use the search tool but it way faster if you google it.

Good luck hope you get it figured out.
Yep, but I have not found an answer, as yet.

One thread said the main light has a default and it is not possible. But others seem to indicated it can. So, the search continues.