Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins #6 Installed on SG

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM
07DDreamHD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ohlins #6 Installed on SG

Completed the installation of a new set of Ohlin #6's on my 2009 Street Glide Saturday morning. This included the install and preliminary set-up. The install was a breeze with no problems. The set-up was very easy after informative discussions with Howard from Motorcyclemetal.com.

Just a quick history of my experience with stock and aftermarket suspension systems. Currently I have two Softails (Custom & Rocker) both with air ride. One has Legends and the other has Arnott. I had the stock air shocks on my Street Glide and then switched to Progressive 440's. IMO, the SG stock suspension is by far the worse, with the Progressive's coming in second. The stock softail suspension was better than the Progressive on the SG. Of course I realize these are two different bikes, but I would certainly expect much more from a touring bikes suspension ($$$$$). I was first inclined to install the air ride on the SG, but I really like to do my research before spending my money. The SG is a bike I use for 2 up riding and touring. My wife likes very much to be comfortable. She is a mere 120 lbs, I am 205 lbs, and the Progressive's would bottom out regardless of the setting (Louisiana roads are terrible my friend). Anyway, my research and desire to have a happy passenger (a happy passenger means I can ride in peace listening to the stereo, wind or any other pleasant sound) led me to the purchase of the Ohlins #6's.

After the initial install and set-up, I got in a test ride. Immediately, I noticed an HUGE difference in the ride. Much better suspension in the rear. I did however have to much preload on the shocks and did have to decrease to lower the bike slightly and when loaded. Just after returning from my first test ride, I received a phone call from Howard. He wanted to check and make sure all went well with the set-up. Now that is service buddy! Who can honestly say a vendor that is more than 600 miles away would give a big enough SH*$ to call and check on a product you bought from them with respect to the motorcycle industry. There may be a few out there, but only a few. Anyway, after a good discussion with Howard, I made a few more adjustments and then: TEST RIDE #2.

Test Ride #2 involved a 200 mile ride with my wife. I have never taken her on a ride and had her talk about how comfortable she felt and how much she enjoyed the ride (she likes to ride, she just hates getting the hell pounded out of her ***, back and kidneys). Well test ride #2 was a first brother. She told me quite a few times that the bike was so much smoother riding and she was having a great time. All this with the stock SG seat (I have a new seat on order). I am telling each of you, these shocks are THE SH*$, and I do not believe you will get any better as I have tried a lot of different suspensions. We still have some "break-in" mileage to add, so I know the shocks will only get better.

If you have a situation similar to mine, I recommend you contact Howard with Motorcyclemetal.com. You will get EXCELLENT service along with the best product your hard earned money can buy.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I would love to get a set of the #6s, just can't afford 'em, I'm very pleased with the 3-3s. If you were impressed with Howards call, Wait 'till he calls again in 6 months to check up on your shocks. Helluva business man, and his customers are #1 priority.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

He is a hard working dude, always thinking about solutions to suspensions, braking etc etc, and he thinks about them all at the same time. Over all Good dude. I've tested the 6's and own the 3s($ short with motor work at same time or I would have the 6's), I am a firm believer in Ohlins and Howards ingenuity, hell he built a one of a kind adjustable front end kit for my 09 Dyna. Everything custom machined, fully adjustable from the outside, have 5 k miles on it now, including 3 k in the Dragon area. Just finished the 107 motor, will give it another high stress run through the Ozarks end of July then write a full report on the suspension.

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I would love to get a set of the #6s, just can't afford 'em, I'm very pleased with the 3-3s. If you were impressed with Howards call, Wait 'till he calls again in 6 months to check up on your shocks. Helluva business man, and his customers are #1 priority.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 PM
SIU 96
Tourer

Sounds like a nice setup you have there and great customer service.
I totally agree the shocks on the '11 SG are crap. My body could not take the beating.
Perhaps I have never really rode a great pair of shocks like ohlin's and at the price I may not get to. But I can say I am happy with the progressive 440"s standard. The difference is night and day over stock.
And Justin over at progressive will help you get it right if there are any issues.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Looked at his website a few times but can't figure out the number system everybody mentions

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM
pug3984
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Highliner. The website seams kinda confusing to me also..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM
07DDreamHD
Tourer

No doubt that the website can be confusing, but Howard is not a webmaster, he is a shock expert. If you call Howard he will explain the numbering system. They are all good shocks. IMO it is all about the individual and what you want. My shocks are set-up for 2-up 70% on my SG with rider and passenger comfort being my main objective. Low rear ends look good, but the older I get, the less improtant that becomes.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HighLiner
Looked at his website a few times but can't figure out the number system everybody mentions

Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM
BlkChrome
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read a lot of good things about ohlins shocks and that the #3-3s are a great shocks but the #6s is twice the cost, are they that much better and if so why go with a #6?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

#3-4 here, and couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: Ohlins #6 Installed on SG