Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Street Glide backfiring and will not run.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, sounds just like the problem I had when my fuel filter took a crap before the recall. I too thought it was the timing.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Been following along. Due know first sign of a fuel filter problem on a FI from being stopped up is it will not maintain an idle due to drop in pressure. You would need to get a very bad batch of gas from some country store since all modern gas pumps filter it. Only one I have dealt with was the tank was setting and got full of rust. Not sure if you have 10% ethanol. That will get rid of water. If not drain your gas and get a new tank full of gas and see if that work. I had a similar problem and on the third tank of gas my problem went away. Couple days later the station I had got gas from about 10 days ago was digging up his tanks. Pulled in and ask what was going on. Told me he just worked there.
WHAT EVER YOU DO POST BACK WHAT FIXES IT. THIS IS A DIFFICULT ONE TO CALL

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-27-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley's website lists recalls. It does not appear to list Service Bulletins. A recall and Service Bulletin is not the same thing.

Recalls are a government mandate related to safety or emissions problems. Service bulletins are voluntary and are based on a history of problems that the dealer has volunteered to fix.

My bike has had at least one SB, that I can remember, but it not listed on Harley's site because it was not a recall.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
mnskip
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't find the problem, pull the fuel filter and change it and when you do check the canister. One less thing to do down the road, and maybe,just maybe it would fix your problem.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM
reclaimer53
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody really think a 2008 Harley could have jumped a tooth on the timing chain?
That would be a bit extreme for a stock engine.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
sgrider08
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for the ideas of what was going on with my bike. I found and fixed the problem. The fuel filter canister was not the problem, it was the what the canister mounts too. It was deformed and the O-Ring was also pinched. The filter canister was somewhat ok and I also had the new design in the bike and that is the reason my bike was not recalled. However even the new one that was in was going to fail at some point so I replaced it. The thing that sucks was that the dealer could not get the complete assembly that cost 134 bucks. The fuel neck itself cost the same 134 bucks. There was only 5 dealers in the nation that had this part and Center HD in Richmond IN. had the part in stock and is a 45 min drive from my place. They are the ones that told me what the problem was and they were right. And Harley is discontinuing the fuel filler cap but no one knew when the new part number will come out. I cannot believe that this part failed.

The dealer said that they could have used the recall on the fuel filter canister so I would not have to buy it but since I did the work myself I had to pay for it. Once again I could have bought the whole assembly for 134 bucks and that included the filler neck, filter, filter canister, O-ring and the high pressure release valve. But since I had to buy the parts separate I forked over more than 200 bucks...Thanks HD.

Last edited by sgrider08; 06-29-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you got her fixed! And thanks for posting the issue, usually we never hear the what the fix was.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Rarely do we see problems and then answers especially someone doing the work and knowing what he is talking about. Few questions to fill in some things. Why do you think you were seeing little spark in the FP. Were you outside or just in bright light? Also I assume it was just running out of fuel rail pressure. Think that was what was doing it? Was the opening after the fuel pump? Can you be so kind as attaching some pictures of defective stuff? Get the ABS fixed? Thanks

Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
sgrider08
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The reason I was seeing little spark is because I forget to put old plugs in the jugs before I tested the spark. The whole problem was related to not getting the proper fuel pressure to the injectors.

I have posted pictures in an album, just go to my profile and you will see pictures of the defective parts.

No I did not get the ABS fixed, I'm not worried about getting them fixed because I can stop faster now..lol! I will fix the problem the next time I change the tires.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Buddy of mine's 08 Ultra did the same thing last week on a trip to Milwaukee, 15 miles from our hotel destination. Great dealer there, Hal's HD, found the problem quickly, noted that failed canister was on the recall and he only had to pay a couple hours labor. Apparently a common problem on some 08 and 09 bikes. Another note, HOG's Roadside Service plan was great, he had the upgrade option so towing was 100% covered, they were great people to deal with... just FYI if you travel... we had ridden up from San Antonio, TX, so it was comforting to be treated so well all around...

Quick Reply: 08 Street Glide backfiring and will not run.