Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Street Glide backfiring and will not run.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM
sgrider08
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 08 Street Glide backfiring and will not run.

I have an 08 street glide that will not run. It keeps backfiring through the breather. I try to give it some throttle and it get worse. I was on a poker run on Saturday and it was fine until after the last stop. I was going down the road and all the sudden I lost power and it kept backfiring.

I had someone tell me is was the crank sensor. So I had a friend take on off his ultra and that is not it. I unplugged the map sensor and the bike would not start. I took the plugs out and reattached the plug wires and turned the bike over and I'm getting little to no spark. At high rpm's it seam to want to run then backfires again.

I checked the codes and there is no codes coming from the ECM. However I do have codes that tell me that the ABS sensors (front and rear) are getting an open circuit or is shorted. And the front brake switch is open. A friend told me that he does not think it is coil related and his opinion is that it is a timing issue with the ignition. There is also not noise coming from the motor that would suggest a broken valve spring or a mechanical issue.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

just a guess here...the code for no ABS may be holding the ignition out ...ie. one step worse than limp home mode...try fixing the brake problem and see if the problem goes away...

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM
sgrider08
Intermediate

The ABS has been out for about a month now. I have ridden the bike for the whole month and have had no problems until now.

I'm wandering if the cam chain tensioners are bad and the chain skipped a tooth. I do have over 28k miles on the bike.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the ceramic tip insulator on the plugs. sometimes the insulator slips and covers the electrode tip, preventing the bike from starting.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you gas up at the last stop?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
sgrider08
Intermediate

No its not the plugs. I changed them out and still will not run right.

I also ran on that take of fuel all day. It sounds like a timing issue and that maybe the cam chain skipped a tooth or something. I have not checked the cam chain tensioners since I have had the bike and it has 28k miles on it.

I'm not getting any ECM codes either.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
lasvegasrick
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like the fuel pump tab broke....

Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Food for thought, saw one that had a very similar issue. Long story short, the fuel quick disconnect lost it's tension. It ran like crap backfiring and all. Then if you pushed up on the hose in the disconnect it ran fine. Just enough fuel to run lean.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
sgrider08
Intermediate

The dealer told me about the quick disconnect also but the plugs I took out were black, however when I tried to limp it along the bike got really really hot. Which would mean that it was running lean.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

28k mileage, have you replaced the fuel filter yet? That is suppose to be done at 25k service. May be causing a lean or fuel starvation condition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Street Glide backfiring and will not run.