Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped derby cover screw

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drill, baby, drill

Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been stripping screws for 40 years on everything from bikes to motorhomes to jet aircraft. I've used every tool and method described in this post, and a lot of other too. This is the easiest thing I've found for removing stripped screws, providing you have a variable speed reversible drill:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFQQ8gIwAQ#

Home Depot has them. You'll rarely fool with easy outs again.

-Dusty

Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustball
I've been stripping screws for 40 years on everything from bikes to motorhomes to jet aircraft. I've used every tool and method described in this post, and a lot of other too. This is the easiest thing I've found for removing stripped screws, providing you have a variable speed reversible drill:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFQQ8gIwAQ#

Home Depot has them. You'll rarely fool with easy outs again.

-Dusty
Hey I like that tool! Beats the heck out of easy outs if it works as advertised. I despise easy outs having broken one off in an area of poor access. I won in the end by welding a nut over the remaining "stud".

Thaks for posting that-- never seen anything like it downunder yet.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
Before I would drill the head I would try an impact driver. Even though the head is stripped sometimes a good whack with the impact driver will dig in enough to break it loose.

he impact driver worked for me....and replaced with allen heads and never sieze..

Always use an impact driver to break them loose and you are unlikely to ever have a problem with the torx heads.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
HD Texan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to replace with allen head bolts, but can't find a washer small enough to slip over like the factory ones have. Are you guys not putting the washers? Are they not necessary?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Feeeeg
Tourer

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
Also to replace the screws you can go to your local stealer/indy and buy replacements
But buy the allen head screws in a button or standard style there 1/4 x 20 x 1/2 grade 8
I've been that route all ready I've got the allens in my cover and are alot easier to unscrew.
I tried that route, when I got home with the allen pan heads, I found that they would not easily thread into the case. Threads were all matched, size, everything, only thing I can imagine caused it was the chrome plating?

I have noticed that with torx bolts especially make sure you are using a quality tool to remove them. Do not use a taiwan junk tool, or for that matter the Harley kit. Go get yourself a craftsman or other t27. And use that bit for only the derby cover.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:12 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

That T25 fits just tight enough to make you think that it's the right one...by the time you figure out your mistake, it's too late.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Feeeeg
Tourer

Originally Posted by max56
That T25 fits just tight enough to make you think that it's the right one...by the time you figure out your mistake, it's too late.

LMAO you got that right.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
98 Heritage N.Indiana
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Drill the head of the screw off, then pull the derby cover off, then you will be able to easily unscrew the screw with your fingers or pliers.

Search, you will find many threads about this.

Make sure you have a T27 and not a T25, easy to think a T25 fits, until it strips!

Use some anti seize on the threads when you put the screws back in.
I just did this last week worked great for me

Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Alternate method. If you are fortunate enough to have developed the skill to sharpen a drillbit on the bench grinder, you can take one of your regular drill bits and sharpen it in a lefthand manner. Done it plenty of times, works well on the not so stubborn patients like the derby cover.

Quick Reply: Stripped derby cover screw